Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, getting ready to purchase a Class III 2" hitch for the '06 3.7L. Just worried I might get the wrong one. A lot of the pictures I'm seeing is the one that mounts below the bumper and I want the one that I have to use the bezel. So far the cheapest price one is at leeparts. Is this the correct one that is through the bumper and not below it? Also, I have a friend who's best friend owns a wholesale auto parts warehouse in town and they're looking into the prices for me. So far he's quoted me like $205 for the hitch, bezel, and 7 pin wiring harness (factory one with plug ins). Pretty darn good deal, but I just want to make sure I'm getting the right one.

·
Registered
242 Posts
HA. I'm trying to get rid of my hitch. you dont by chance live near chicago?
i got hitch. wiring. bezel.
sold my commander. dont need it anymore.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I live in Indy!!! How much do you want for it and would you ship? My buddy even has a UPS account so I might be able to get him to print me a label and have UPS pick it up, wouldn't cost either of us a thing!!! Man this would be great! Send me a great price on PM and we'll get to talking!

Maybe if the price is right I could have enough to get some spacers now too!!!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey I'll send you a PM, I won't be able to check this site this weekend, as I have Guard duty and they block every site that keep you from losing your mind! LOL

·
Banned
1,406 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL, I knew somebody would make that joke!

Yeah I noticed that he's signed on since I sent that PM and wrote that post...

I'm just an EXTREMELY impatient person, he mentioned the hitch and I wanted to buy it 2 seconds later and have it in my hands that afternoon, lol.

Just got my cash back from the dealership so I need/want a hitch on my rig soon.

Wondering what he wants for me, maybe like $100-$150 or so would be nice! My buddy owns a auto parts wholesale warehouse so I can get the hitch, bezel, and harness for like $215 I think he said, so hopefully this guy can beat that price by a lot!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can someone explain this to me?

The hitch with the 1-1/4" opening is 3,500 lb tow with 350 lb tongue rating, yet the 2" opening is 250 lb tongue with 2,000 lb towing unless I have weight distribution.

I can get up to 7,200 lb with weight distribution but I haven't seen anything anywhere to buy extra hardware.

Sorry, I've never bought a single aftermarket part for vehicles before so I don't want to be wasting money!

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
Can someone explain this to me?

The hitch with the 1-1/4" opening is 3,500 lb tow with 350 lb tongue rating, yet the 2" opening is 250 lb tongue with 2,000 lb towing unless I have weight distribution.

I can get up to 7,200 lb with weight distribution but I haven't seen anything anywhere to buy extra hardware.

Sorry, I've never bought a single aftermarket part for vehicles before so I don't want to be wasting money!
Towing cpacity is not determined by the hitch. It is determined by the engine size and drivetrain.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Where are you getting your numbers from?

This is out of the 06 Brochure:

3.7 V6: 1.25" Receiver, 3,500# Towing Capacity, 525# Tongue Load Limit

4.7 V8: 2" Receiver, 6,500# Towing Capacity, 750# Tongue Load Limit

5.7 V8: 2" Receiver, 7,200# Towing Capacity, 750# Tongue Load Limit

The hitch that cico7 showed you is the factory hitch, that mounts in the cutout in the bumper with a bezel. So, if you were to purchase the 2" receiver hitch, you could have a maximum tongue weight of 750#. The V6 Commander is rated to tow 3,500# with the factory tow package, which includes a secondary cooling fan (electric) on the radiator. I'm not sure what else it consists of. You should be OK up to 3500#, but I would closey monitor the temp guage. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's what I thought guys, and thanks for the info. I just get frustrated when buying large ticket items and every website says something different!!

If you haven't figured it out yet, I'm a worry FREAK!

·
Registered
954 Posts
I purchased the 2" factory hitch and 7 wire kit from Lee Parts, I figured I'd go with that setup so I had more of an option of what I can tow considering the 3,500 lbs limit. At this point I feel that I could've gone with the 4-wire kit since I haven't had a need for the 7 wire yet and saved on the total cost; although I do like the fact that one is a constant power source for a future camping trailer project. Let me know if you have any questions once you're ready to do the install, the process is still somewhat fresh in my old noggin lol, there are also several write-ups on this site describing the install. Good luck and hope you find the deal you're looking for.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm adding a hitch to mine as well. I got the hitch and bezeal from the deal for 180. I found a plug and play harness with t connectors on line for 67 with shipping. I'm just sike that I don't have to go to the dealer and get the starscan programed to use my wiring.

I only have the 3.7 so, I went with the flat 4, the 7 pin would be pointless in my case. I also got the class IV hitch because of the 2" receiver.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yep will do LuvMyC.

Here's what I did. Found a used but great condition hitch on Ebay for $65 + $10 shipping. Asked a few dealers on Ebay with bezels if they would provide free shipping if it meant them getting my business. Everyone said no except one. So he got my money! I called him and we're doing the transaction through his company instead of Ebay. So he's selling me the bezel for $61 and a 7 pin harness for $72, both with free shipping. Those prices are lower than Lee Parts (which have been the lowest I've seen) and having free shipping only multiplies the sweet deal! I'll definitely recommend his business by name once I receive the parts if the entire process is good. So far he's very willing to work with me.

I always do stuff like that to see who wants my business. In this economy people are fighting for sales so make them earn it is my opinion. So $190 for the complete setup is pretty good in my book!

I am only going with the 7 pin in case someday I want to pull a small camper, and I'm considering putting brakes on my boat trailer, so having the 7 pin will be nice. That way with a full load of equipment, people, boat, I'd be approaching the 3500 lb. limit quick, so trailer brakes would be a great peace of mind.

Who cares if you can get going, if you can't stop!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
DAAAAAAAMMMMMMNNNNN!!! I'm calling around to get prices on getting the ECM flashed to recognize the wiring harness. Average price: $95. Thought I saw some guys on here saying they paid $40, where in the world did you go?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts