Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay,

After failing my quest to use the 6.4L Shorty headers I decided it would be nice to pass on the lessons learned!

Two SRT8 manifolds work, one does not. The two that work are these:

The 6.4L set that does not work... You can try, but why work so hard?

Dave

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
All header sets require a 3" system and a modified mid-pipe set. The prefabbed Magnaflow pipes do not fit (without costly mods).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you tried the stock 06-10 WK SRT8 midpipes? I was going to look into getting a set, and then modifying them to make them work. My goal was to make a Y with the correct flanges to bolt up to Stock SRT8 Midpipes, then shorten a XK specific catback to make it all bolt up nicely.

I just scored a set of 08 WK SRT8 6.1L manifolds online, and will keep my eyes open for a set of stock mids - I would either modify them to exit in the stock commander location, or like I said earlier, fab a Y pipe to bolt between the SRT mids and the catback.

If you have the manfolds that will work, can you do a really quick measurement of the outlet inside diameter? I will verify with mine once they arrive, but won't have them for a week or so probably. I would think that for our power goals, a 2.5" midpipe would be more than adequate, joining into a single 3" outlet (or a pair of 2.5" mids into a 2.5" catback with a dual inlet muffler, and a single 3" outlet to the rear).

-Brad

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wish I had the part numbers, but I do not. You will have to modify the exhaust to 3" from the header no matter which one you get, along with changing the flange.

I did not try the stock SRT8 mid pipes, after the magna flows did not go well I just had the pipes made custom. I really should add some pictures of the setup.

If the weather is good, I will add the pics.

The sound is sick... It goes from a very light rumble at idle to a roar when I get on it. With the massive breathing changes (in and out) I really need to get a custom tune to maximize what I have done.

Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dave,

A lot of questions, forgive me! What made the SRT magnaflow system not work for the XK? Was it crossmember clearance, or something like transmission interference?

When you had the exhaust custom made, what did you do for flanges for the mid-pipe and cats? Did you cut up the magnaflow system and re-weld it into something that would work, or did the shop start from scratch?

I need to be able to have the car pass emissions, so it's not like I can just run straight pipes to the muffler(s) - it's gotta have the cats, and I figured the stock SRT8 stuff would be a good place to start - assuming I can find some!

-Brad

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mostly it was my lack of welding skill... I bet if I dropped the crossmember it would have fit just fine. I measured the pipes and the spot they traveled, I should have been good by at least an 1". The guy who did my pipes was not allowed to drop the crossmember for insurance reasons. Granted I am really happy with what he did, but still annoyed I departed from my original plan.

The new system I put on was from scratch. The magna flow set is untouched. Now, with that being said, you will need to cut and 'clock' the flanges to match up with your headers. the flanges are off by about 20deg from the stock flange of the XK. Which is weird because why would Chrysler use a different header from the XK to the WK on the same motor? might be an SRT8 thing though.

No issue passing emissions, you will have cats made for federal rules. You may need to program out a DTC depending on how sensitive your O2s are. Sometime with magna flow cats the stupid light comes on, sometimes it does not.

Dave

M

·
0 Posts
I am looking at a set of SRT 8 headers now...but am still not 100% sure which set will work for clearance reasons. I am aware of a custom mid pipe and header outlet flange. I just don't want to buy the wrong SRT8 headers. The seller states they will work on a jeep SRT8 but they are sold as used as is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts