Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
~~2008 Overland 5.7 HEMI~~
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s past time to have all these plugs replaced and I got three estimates but they’re pretty far off. My (previous) mechanic admittedly isn’t a Jeep (or HEMI) guy so I may have to just take her to the stealership.

Can someone tell me approximately what this should cost? (I’m on the California coast so that could effect price, compared to middle America.)

Also... should I be telling the mechanic exactly what plugs to use and if so which ones are best?

·
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
862 Posts
It is about a 2 hour job, 16 plugs and yes tell them to use the original style plugs - Champion Copper. No iridium or other fancy plugs. I change my own and about every 50,000 miles, the old plugs look like new.

·
Administrator
2006 Limited 5.7 HEMI Quadra-Drive II
15,857 Posts
@LunaSea831 As rblapham said, definitely make sure to use the OEM Champion copper plugs. Otherwise you might have problems.

Reactions: LunaSea831

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m wondering if $400 is way off target for this job 😱??

·
Administrator
2006 Limited 5.7 HEMI Quadra-Drive II
15,857 Posts
@LunaSea831 I have no idea what it should cost to have a shop do it. Hopefully someone will be able to help you with that. These threads may be of help to about the changing of the plugs: hemi spark plugs

Reactions: LunaSea831

·
862 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yes, that's what the dealership charges... It's ridiculous. I change them myself as a result and it costs me around 30 or 40$.

Reactions: PattiAnn Killmoves

·
Registered
112 Posts
Btw, if you decide to DIY, invest in the 3/8" 3 Piece Magnetic Swivel Spark Plug Socket Kit made by GearWrench. I'm not sure how anyone would ever do this job without it.

·
862 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you have a little patience you could do it yourself and save a pile of cash.
All my patience is being directed at the leaks at this point. I’m gonna have a pro do the plugs- at least this time👍🏼😉

Reactions: PattiAnn Killmoves

·
Registered
3 Posts
Seems high, was it a dealer?, shop around.
I paid $400.00 recently to have them all changed. It was part of a total 10 year service done at the dealership which was very costly in total but necessary. Our vehicles are very special ... mine is perfect and very pristine. I think that they are very collectible and that Jeep is coming out with another Commander type vehicle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am in Seattle, WA and they quoted me $750-$800 at the Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler dealerships around town. A mechanic said he’d do it for $200 + cost of spark plugs, but refused to let me hang out at the shop while he did the work which threw up red flags so I didn’t end up going to him. I’d say $400 sounds fair and you should go for it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No private mechanic. Dealer says $485. Oye. But they’re way way overdue.

{.... this made me laugh all the way out loud, so true: “Had to replace the brakes - as they opened more gas stations in town”}

Reactions: rblapham

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No private mechanic. Dealer says $485. Oye. But they’re way way overdue.

{.... this made me laugh all the way out loud, so true: “Had to replace the brakes - as they opened more gas stations in town”
I am in Seattle, WA and they quoted me $750-$800 at the Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler dealerships around town. A mechanic said he’d do it for $200 + cost of spark plugs, but refused to let me hang out at the shop while he did the work which threw up red flags so I didn’t end up going to him. I’d say $400 sounds fair and you should go for it.
jj248t
Geeezus $800😱

·
Registered
8 Posts
It is about a 2 hour job, 16 plugs and yes tell them to use the original style plugs - Champion Copper. No iridium or other fancy plugs. I change my own and about every 50,000 miles, the old plugs look like new.
Like they said it's better to go OEM and not experiment with other stuff, in my 2006 Commander the right side or the passenger side is the easiest one to change the left side it's a little harder especially the one by the firewall but honestly that is something you can do yourself and save a ton of money just go to YouTube and teach yourself how to do a spark plug change and you will pick up few good pointers that's what I did and it was not that hard

1 - 18 of 18 Posts