Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
do you have the hitch now? What class? Check the tounge weight of the hitch.
Chances are, you are going to exceed the max weight.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I installed my trailer hitch on my XK. If you have the mopar hitch that just kinda clamps onto the rear "frame" with 4 bolts, you may be able to get away with it. I have pulled a trailer over loaded to about 8000lbs with a 600lbs tounge weight with a WDS (weight distributing hitch). If you have a hitch that bolts under the "frame" like a class IV then you should be fine. The class III recommends a max 500lb tounge weight. The class IV recommends a max 1200lb tounge weight. Either way keep in mind your departure angle with that thing on the back will be almost nothing.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Its probably the class III. You can probably get away with it but you are going to sag for sure. It seems that my jeep will sag if a bird craps on the rear bumper

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
HeavyRotation said:
I have the Factory Hitch/tow package. im not sure what class it is. but it has the big full sized reciever.

My 06 has the factory tow package and it came with a class 4. Sorry, I don't know what the tongue :p weight is for it.:D

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
This is taken from the www.jeep.com website. I dont know if its helpful but its all the info they give.
"While it's not listed in the charts, tongue weight is also an important consideration. The recommended tongue weight is between 10 & 15% of the trailer weight. However, the maximum tongue weight on Class III (The bumper ball) is limited to 500 lbs, and Class IV (The receiver hitch) to 1200 lbs.
This requirement overrides any recommended GTW rating, between 10% and 15% of gross trailer weight (GTW). Additionally, the GAWRs and GVWRs should never be exceeded.
Secure payload to prevent shifting of weight during braking, acceleration, cornering, or bumps, etc. If loads shift during dynamic conditions, load distribution could change resulting in an unsafe condition, or could exceed limits of recommended tongue weight. Incorrect tongue weight could result in increased yaw or vehicle instability. A negative tongue weight could unload the rear suspension of the tow vehicle decreasing vehicle stability. Negative tongue weight could cause the trailer to squat and potentially become disengaged from the tow vehicle resulting in a runaway trailer condition.

Towing capacities may vary. Consult your dealer to for full details on the towing capabilities of the vehicle. "

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
It will possibly harm the hitch, BUT, I don't think you will like the results.
The weight rating you're looking for is the listing for dead weight, not equalized.

Unfortunatly that rating is for 10% tongue weight which means at the hitch ball approximatly 8" behind the hitch drawbar locking pin.
You are contemplating putting that weight center far beyond that point.
Your mounting rack will become a lever.

It will likely overstress your reciever and will definatly unload your front end.
They call that understeer with a capital U.

I would strongly recommend against it.

Rob

·
Registered
126 Posts
Its a good idea, but you can get a little pull behind trailor brand new for about half the price or find one used. Plus wont give ya all the tounge weight. My 2 cents

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Seems to be an overwhelming unpopular idea. And if you had a trailer, you could use it for a lot more than just hauling your ATV....You could help all of your friends move!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
robby said:
It will possibly harm the hitch, BUT, I don't think you will like the results.
The weight rating you're looking for is the listing for dead weight, not equalized.

Unfortunatly that rating is for 10% tongue weight which means at the hitch ball approximatly 8" behind the hitch drawbar locking pin.
You are contemplating putting that weight center far beyond that point.
Your mounting rack will become a lever.

It will likely overstress your reciever and will definatly unload your front end.
They call that understeer with a capital U.

I would strongly recommend against it.

Rob

I was thinking this same thing last night after I got home. It's a neat idea, but not the best idea. I would just get a good trailer and go the safe route.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts