Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally found something that the commander could not drive up, even with QDII and the duratracs. I when up to a friends cabin for new years and the driveway was cover in about 2 and a half feet of snow and about 2-3" of ice under that. The driveway is about a 10-12 degree slope, most 2wd trucks/car have a hard time making it up in the summer. I got up it on the second day after the quads had gone up/down it a lot.

Attachments

·
2,248 Posts
That is what a winch and a long cable are for.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put it in 4 low, and did have a small running start but all three times I tried, I got to the curve in the driveway and then slid till I was about 18-24 inches from the wall. I also could not get and forward momentum after I stopped because of all the ice. The way that I look at it is I got the farthest and no one else made it, so I win!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
If you had a Hummer you would have made it......lmfao....jk

It doesn't help there was ice under the 2 1/2 feet of snow. I assume you are not lifted?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you had a Hummer you would have made it......lmfao....jk

It doesn't help there was ice under the 2 1/2 feet of snow. I assume you are not lifted?
I am lifted with the new RC lift and 245/75r17 duratracs but no spacers. I took my wife old car up that drive one year, I needed a running start, almost did not made it and bent a rim. From that point on I just take my truck or the wife's Jeep. This is the first year in the snow that is why I drove the jeep, I was the only one in the group not sliding on the roads.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Even with a lift and taller tires, with 2.5 feet of snow, you are going to eventually get snow compacted under your Jeep and get high centered. Stock, we only have about 9 inches of ground clearance and a lift does not lift the diffs and running gear, but does lift the body. Then with 32 inch tires (about the tallest you can get with a 2 inch lift), you are gaining (32-29.5)/2 which is 1.25 inches of lift.

Edit: did the calc's on the 245/75/17's and they are 31.5's.

Also, seems like High range may give you more momentum and get your further up, but it's a lot to expect with that much snow.

Must've been fun though. I agree with Huey, winch it up.

·
Registered
954 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Even with a lift and taller tires, with 2.5 feet of snow, you are going to eventually get snow compacted under your Jeep and get high centered. Stock, we only have about 9 inches of ground clearance and a lift does not lift the diffs and running gear, but does lift the body. Then with 32 inch tires (about the tallest you can get with a 2 inch lift), you are gaining (32-29.5)/2 which is 1.25 inches of lift.

Edit: did the calc's on the 245/75/17's and they are 31.5's.

Also, seems like High range may give you more momentum and get your further up, but it's a lot to expect with that much snow.

Must've been fun though. I agree with Huey, winch it up.

When relying on momentum in this type of snow and ice under it, i have sometimes had better luck shutting the esp only partially off (taping the button once) then put the transmission in 2 (high) and going for broke.

Since you are relying mostly on momentum anyway to carrying you through deep snow, and hopefully not get stopped or high centered, having everything locked up in the transfer case and diffs doesn't add much benefit, but with esp only partially off, you can keep your moment, but it still assists with steering so you have control on curves like in the above situation. if you have to slow down to keep from sliding off a curve you loose the precious moment, but i have found the commanders corner mitigation program really will take you around a sharp curve, at higher speeds, on slick surfaces. ...even when normal vehicles in 4wd will slip and slide off the curve if going too fast......its my favorite part of the ESP programing.

OF course, if you don't make it through and do get hung up, locking in low, after you scoop the body loose will probably be needed....oh and that winch idea works great too.....providing you have an anchor to pound into the ground or something to tie off too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts