Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found myself sitting at a red light next to an older (late 90's maybe) Mustang. The kind that is obviously not a GT, but made to look like one with the wheels and spoiler (all aftermarket stuff). I intentionally kept right beside them when the light turned green. Of course they saw this as a challenge and "gassed" it. I did the same and pretty much took off and left them. I got to about 65mph and stayed at that speed. They caught up to me and blew by me probably thinking they blew me off the road. We were on a long straightaway so I thought "what the heck." I quickly caught up to them and we were both doing around 80mph. They tried to leave me, but I mashed down on the 4.7 liter and was surprised to feel it downshift (probably from 5th to 4th). I was very impressed with the way it went from 80 mph to 100 mph. I think the people in the Mustang were also impressed that I could easily leave them at that speed. I am sure they probably only had a V6 in the Mustang, but it felt good that I could run that fast and it would ride that smooth.

OK here is the "but" part of the story. There was a major air noise/leak/something somewhere when I was going 100MPH. It sounded like letting the air out of a balloon and trying to make that whining sound. This was not just plain old wind noise from doing 100MPH. Wind was getting into something somewhere. Has anyone else heard this? And I would like to know just how fast these Commanders will go. I figured there would be a governor at some speed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scoobydew31 said:
Did you hear it from the windshield area. The Seal around the Windshield has been a major issue for many of us XK owners!

I have no idea where it was coming from. It was hard to look and listen going that fast. I will have to get someone to ride with me and listen.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I believe the governer is tied to the redline in top gear... not the speed. But probably somewhere in the 118mph - 130mph range. With the 4.7L it was probably a V6 Mustang. Unless it was a custom Mustang you could even give a V8 a run for the money with 5.7L.

·
Registered
225 Posts
rubicontrail.net said:
Unless it was a custom Mustang you could even give a V8 a run for the money with 5.7L.
?!?! Maybe, and only maybe, the mid 1990 models or if the person was a terrible driver. Otherwise its half the weight with only 30-70 less horse, which is still within (2/3rds), and even then they can put it on the road better. Maybe an SRT8 GC, but even that would be close in the new stangs. The 5.7 Hemi is great, but it aint going to turn a 3 ton off road vehicle into a sports car.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
BigRed said:
?!?! Maybe, and only maybe, the mid 1990 models or if the person was a terrible driver. Otherwise its half the weight with only 30-70 less horse, which is still within (2/3rds), and even then they can put it on the road better. Maybe an SRT8 GC, but even that would be close in the new stangs. The 5.7 Hemi is great, but it aint going to turn a 3 ton off road vehicle into a sports car.
Commander weighs in at just over 2.5 tons, the Mustang weighs in at 1.75 tons. The Commander has more than 50 lb-ft greater torque (torque matters, not horsepower) The Commander has 4WD, the Mustang is only 2WD. I never said the Mustang wouldn't win. The Mustang would most likely win, but like I said the Commander would give it a run for it's money. And the SRT8 would beat the new Mustang and has in several test by Edmunds and others.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I agree with you on the last part about the srt8 and the new mustangs. It's close, but the GC does beat it. As for the beginning though... Unless the mustang driver doesn't know how to launch and the XK driver really knows what hes doing, i dont think they would ever be within a carlength of eachother.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Well, if its a rolling start I wouldnt be too sure of that. I only floored my 5.7L Hemi once and nearly lost control as it lunged forward so fast felt like the front wheels left the ground. Yes, I have a lot of experience, even raced MG's at Sebring years ago. but this incredible surge of power surprised the heck out of me. john

·
Registered
225 Posts
I agree, at a rolling start you take away all of the advantages of the mustang, it loses its quicker launch speed. I agree that once you get the tank moving its fast, 60-100 is amazing, but it shouldn't come close to a stang off the line and close in fast enough to bring it in close at the end.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I had mine to 110 MPH on one occassion and was surprised that it was as solid as it was at that speed. I would not make a habit of it, but based on my experience I an sure I could give a stock car a good run for his money. Had my charger at 145 before the governer took the fun out of it.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I would suggest just waiting for a little wet pavement. I had stang try that from a light on some wet pavement. he spun I won. 4X4 has its advantages. I wouldn't get my hopes up on dry pavement though

·
Registered
577 Posts
Race the 'Stanger on a muddy trail.... that should show them who's the boss!!

·
Registered
686 Posts
ec14 said:
...There was a major air noise/leak/something somewhere when I was going 100MPH. It sounded like letting the air out of a balloon and trying to make that whining sound. This was not just plain old wind noise from doing 100MPH. Wind was getting into something somewhere. Has anyone else heard this?

That was the sound of the gigantic whirlpool that formed in your gas tank as the engine sucked the fuel out of it at about a gallon/second.

·
Registered
258 Posts
webjones said:
That was the sound of the gigantic whirlpool that formed in your gas tank as the engine sucked the fuel out of it at about a gallon/second.

that was funny...

·
Registered
258 Posts
John said:
Well, if its a rolling start I wouldnt be too sure of that. I only floored my 5.7L Hemi once and nearly lost control as it lunged forward so fast felt like the front wheels left the ground. Yes, I have a lot of experience, even raced MG's at Sebring years ago. but this incredible surge of power surprised the heck out of me. john

ha...cool. I gotta try that once...probably on the way to a gas station though....and without the wife since I tell her not to accel. too fast to save gas.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts