Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, What is the largest tire size (width and height) I can use with a 2" lift with no rubbing whateosever? Also, the Rusty lift seems to be really popular and pretty cheap? What does it cost to have it professionally installed? I can change my oil like a pro and add fuel to the tank, but it pretty much ends there, haha.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
255/70/17s is the largest you could run without any rubbing. I paid $375 to have mine installed. I've had Rusty's lift for about 2 years now and have no complaints.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
255/70/17s is the largest you could run without any rubbing. I paid $375 to have mine installed. I've had Rusty's lift for about 2 years now and have no complaints.
Well that sounds good. Thanks! --any pics?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Well that sounds good. Thanks! --any pics?
I have the Rusty's 2 inch lift but a little bigger tire, the look is probably pretty close. You can view my pics in my album on the forum. I would go with the 255/70/17 that Crz recommended.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the Rusty's 2 inch lift but a little bigger tire, the look is probably pretty close. You can view my pics in my album on the forum. I would go with the 255/70/17 that Crz recommended.
Hey man, great looking truck! Thanks for that. Any reason you think I should go with the 70's rather than the 75's? Are you having rubbing issues at all? I ask because I like the look of the 2" lift----not too little not too much, but I really want the biggest tire possible with NO rubbing whatsoever at ANY time. IMO, the stock tires are WAY too small, lol. I see you have in your sig. some sort of wheel spacers----are they to push the wheel outward? I am keeping my stock wheels for now---do I need some sort of spacer as well?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Yes, I have Spydertrax wheel spacers. They move the wheel and tire outboard 1.5 inches. Several members are running with them. I bought mine directly from their website. When you get taller and wider tires, you get pretty close to the ball joint bolt in the front wheel well. I'm not sure whether they are needed with 255/70/17's or not, but I needed them for mine.

The reason I said go with 255/70's is that you would have better clearance in the fender wells. I had to trim plastic and hammer down pinch welds and fiddle with HVAC lines on the passenger side. It was a lot of extra work and extremely close tolerance on a full lock right turn, for the small gain in tire height from the 255/70's. The 255/70's are 1.5 inches taller diameter than stock 245/65's. Mine are another inch in diameter.

But I would run the stock tires until they wear down, if I were you.

P.S. Did you get that Jeep baseball cap yet? Why not?:rofl:

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I have Spydertrax wheel spacers. They move the wheel and tire outboard 1.5 inches. Several members are running with them. I bought mine directly from their website. When you get taller and wider tires, you get pretty close to the ball joint bolt in the front wheel well. I'm not sure whether they are needed with 255/70/17's or not, but I needed them for mine.

The reason I said go with 255/70's is that you would have better clearance in the fender wells. I had to trim plastic and hammer down pinch welds and fiddle with HVAC lines on the passenger side. It was a lot of extra work and extremely close tolerance on a full lock right turn, for the small gain in tire height from the 255/70's. The 255/70's are 1.5 inches taller diameter than stock 245/65's. Mine are another inch in diameter.

But I would run the stock tires until they wear down, if I were you.

P.S. Did you get that Jeep baseball cap yet? Why not?:rofl:
The cap? Not yet...I'm lying in wait until the trucks is ready for "the cap". Haha. Ok, sounds good on the tires. Thanks.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought the Jeep baseball cap online a few months ago, haha. My wife thinks I'm a dork. She's soooo wrong.
Pfft. The women just don't understand. Haha

·
Registered
2,788 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Look in my signature and click on the see pics here link.
Man, that's a good looking truck! I have the silver 4.7 also....'06. I love the look of the lift/tirs...not too tall, etc...but just right.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts