Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The family and I decided to do some day trips down to Girdwood Alaska and the Portage Valley where something like 7 hanging glaciers are found. Well took a couple pics that I thought you might like. :)

Portage Valley: Found a small dirt road that lead to the base of the mountain.

Small Pullout on the way to Girdwood from Anchorage on the Seward Highway.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
great pics AK. as you know any pics of the commander are always welcome around here even if it's just one in your front yard. thank you for serving.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Love the pics, I need to get up to Alaska sometime!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Very nice pics :)

Did you drive on snow ?

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Dramatic change from the 100+ here in AZ, I too need to make a trip to AK.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahmed said:
Did you drive on snow ?
Just the back tires. Have to be careful in this area because of the amount of trail abuse that goes on. The 4x4 Clubs have really been cracking down on their members.

testa23 said:
thank you for serving.
Its the least I could do for this country. ;) Besides I did alot of growing up in there. Man its amazing how much character you can build in the Army. :D

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PolarBZ said:
Love the pics, I need to get up to Alaska sometime!
You just need to figure out how to find yourself attached to the 59th Signal Corps. Just try not to get stuck in Ft. Wainwright. Summers are awesome but man its a cold winter up there. I did 3 years as a 11B up there. Man new appreciation for the indoors.:eek:

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
AKFossil said:
You just need to figure out how to find yourself attached to the 59th Signal Corps. Just try not to get stuck in Ft. Wainwright. Summers are awesome but man its a cold winter up there. I did 3 years as a 11B up there. Man new appreciation for the indoors.:eek:
Yeah, I've been keeping an eye out for anything in Alaska, but no luck so far! When/if I do get up there, I'll be glad my XK has the block heater. I was at Fort Drum for awhile and the temps dropped to -40. The oil in my Chevy Cavalier froze up while I was at work and AAA was going take take hours. I ended up running numerous lengths of extension cord out to its heater. It was a late night.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
not from this last trip it was pretty rainy and windy. :( and when the sun came out we were on our way home go figure. But we are hoping to get out more and get some pics :D

I do have a couple scenic shots I will try and post. Minus XK

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hopalong said:
Have they devoloped that campground by Portage yet?
Which one? There are 2 good ones there Williwaw and Black Bear. Williwaw being the largest of the 2 and lots of room for RVs.

Also as promised a couple more pics.

On the way to Mt. Alyeska

Looking down toward the inlet from the Upper ski lodge.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts