Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So....here's what im thinking about doing. Just ordered in a set of eight individual LED lights that im going to install into my lower rocker panels to light up the ground and act as courtesy lights when you unlock the car and open up the doors. However I was just curious as to if anyone on here has done this, I cant find any posts on the matter. If not I will make sure as to take plenty of pics and post on the install once completed. Lights should be here by the 27th and will install that weekend. :)

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
So....here's what im thinking about doing. Just ordered in a set of eight individual LED lights that im going to install into my lower rocker panels to light up the ground and act as courtesy lights when you unlock the car and open up the doors. However I was just curious as to if anyone on here has done this, I cant find any posts on the matter. If not I will make sure as to take plunty of pics and post on the install once completed. Lights should be here by the 27th and will install that weekend. :)
When you program your lights to come on when you hit the lock/unlock the doors, the signal comes from the transmitter/EVIC. There is no individual wire to tap into to add lights to the circuit. You are going to have to find out how the transmitter is wired into the light circuit, in order to locate a tap in point. Otherwise, your LED lights will be on every time you turn on the light that you used as a tap. Hope this helps. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input dhh3......Just going to tap into the lower footwell lights, not to worried about turning the lights on when I drive (if I need a light I can always use the map lights)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After taking both rocker panels off I measured the lights to be about 20" apart from one to another. Mounted the lights to the very back of the underneath side. Took the silicon caulking and generously applied to waterproof the connections.

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Connected all the wires together, riveted the rocker panels back on. Connected the battery and now for the finished product......heres one with the garage lights on, kind of hard to see...

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And the last one is with all lights off execpt the LED lights. Total time invested was around four hours or so probably wouldnt of taken so long if it wasnt for the beer runs, just so thirsty... Everything was simple and very cheap (my favorite mods to do). If anyone has any questions at all please feel free to ask or contact me

Attachments

·
Registered
696 Posts
very nice work

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks ......one thing I forgot to mention is that the seller messed up and sent me 7 red LED lights by mistake and told me to just keep them so if anybody is planning on doing this or something similar and would like to have my red LED lights let me know just pay for the shipping and there yours (free). I have no use for them

·
Registered
862 Posts
Sounds like a great idea to me. It would be especially nice while off-roading at night so you can see what you're about to step out onto.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Very nice! I like the minimal 4 or 5 bright spots you've got there...
I've been getting ready to do a similar thing to mine and might have to change how many leds I was thinking of using now.

I was looking at going with about a led a inch mounted in a thin strip on the inside bottom of my tubular side step bars so they were out of view but threw a glow on the ground.
I go the idea initially when I saw a ad for these http://www.gorecon.com/product.php?pk=331&pname=Part-26413X-48-BIG-RIG-ICE-AMBER-Lights-w-WHITE-Courtesy-Lights&p_cat=5 and thought "I can do that! and for a whole lot cheaper!"

I started with the idea of the white courtesy lights, but then figured why not add amber running lights that change brightness with the signals as well?

Just waiting on a order of leds to come in now so I can start... One more blinking thing to add to my commander lol

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SoundDoc----Thats how I got started on this project as well. Wife noticed some step-up bars with the integrated lights and thought we needed them for our daughter. The only problem I can think of with what you are wanting to do is how to get the LED's to flash with your turn signal without being on constantly with your parking lights (unless this is what your wanting?). You've got a very nice lookin comando there, I've always been partial to white. Let me know if I can help you in any form and keep me posted on the project you've got going. Happy Jeepin Y'all

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Hooked into the footwell light just underneath the steering wheel on the drivers side and next to the kick panel on the passenger side of the jeep
Great job! I am thinking about doing a spin off of this. Do you have a picture of where you drew the power from? What beand/number LED did you use and from where did you order them?

Thanks in advance!:eyemouth:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts