Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The PO had the windshield replaced must of been by a cheap shop. They significantly damaged to cowl to windshield seal. Has anyone had to replace theirs? I can't find a part # for just the seal. This is at the bottom of the windshield. Thx

·
Registered
19 Posts
The PO had the windshield replaced must of been by a cheap shop. They significantly damaged to cowl to windshield seal. Has anyone had to replace theirs? I can't find a part # for just the seal. This is at the bottom of the windshield. Thx
You ever find this part number? Mine is falling apart. I took off the cowl grille and windshield arms to sand me down and paint them. It literally started crumbling off when I pulled it off. Need to replace it.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
You ever find this part number? Mine is falling apart. I took off the cowl grille and windshield arms to sand me down and paint them. It literally started crumbling off when I pulled it off. Need to replace it.
Yeah @redwolfb14, mine is starting to come apart too, I've had a couple of small pieces tear off of the bottom of the seal & it seems pretty fragile at this point; Rubber that is exposed to the elements is only going to last so long - particularly in hotter climates. I've never really took the time try and find one.

I'm going to do some digging today and see what I can come up with. If I find anything, I'll post it in this thread.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
So I could not find the individual OEM cowl seal, it seems there are some "universal" cowl seals on the market, but nothing I'd feel comfortable using based on the reviews I've read - most of which state that the universal cowl seals use a very poor quality adhesive on the back of them and they don't seem to stay in place very well, without adding additional adhesive.

I wound up ordering a whole new OEM Cowl cover on e-bay, brand new for $91.37 & free shipping; hopefully it will come with the seal, even if it doesn't, my current cowl cover is sun & weather beaten enough, that I wouldn't mind replacing it with a nice, new one anyway. The part # is 55157393AE

https://www.ebay.com/p/1542219697?iid=202147688835

·
Registered
30 Posts
another option could be a used one in better shape using your junk yard or car-part.com
just a thought. interested in seeing the ebay version though. pretty cool that you found that @Big Blue

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
another option could be a used one in better shape using your junk yard or car-part.com
just a thought. interested in seeing the ebay version though. pretty cool that you found that @Big Blue
It says it's brand new, so, I'm not anticipating any issues with it; We'll see when I get it in about a week.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Interesting.. yeah mine looked beat up as well but I just gave it a light sand and repainted it matte black, along with my wiper arms. Seemed fine so I wasn't really keen on replacing it for just the strip. Might end up just running a small bead of marine sealant.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Interesting.. yeah mine looked beat up as well but I just gave it a light sand and repainted it matte black, along with my wiper arms. Seemed fine so I wasn't really keen on replacing it for just the strip. Might end up just running a small bead of marine sealant.
Yea, if it comes with a new seal all the better - but if not, I'll have to try one of those universal cowl seals on the market;

The original cowl is almost 11 years old now, so, I'd feel pretty good about replacing an 11 year old weather-beaten piece of plastic with a new one, as opposed to trying to repair it. In my eyes it's cheap enough - if I get another 11 years out of the new one, it's $91.00 well spent.

Since Big Blue is leading a nice cozy garaged life now, as opposed to the first 6 years of it's life, I'll probably get more than 11 years out of it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts