Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a tire that keeps going low on air pressure so I had my wife take it buy a Discount Tire to see what the problem was and to get it fixed, but they told her that they could not fix it becasue it appeared to be leaking form the face of the WHEEL on the lug side of the lip where the weight goes. These are factory wheels so I am trying to figure out what I should do until I am able to buy new ones. Any thought or suggestions? My biggest question is how do you crack an aluminum wheel in that location?:icon_confused:

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Any thought or suggestions? My biggest question is how do you crack an aluminum wheel in that location?:icon_confused:
My first suggestion, as long as the crack is not a structural issue, would be to put some sealant in there but that is not always the best idea. I think the reason these wheels crack is because it is cast aluminum.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That makes since but it is like a hair line fracture and there has not been any curb hits on the wheel since we bought it back in April. This leak also just showed up a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
127 Posts
That makes since but it is like a hair line fracture and there has not been any curb hits on the wheel since we bought it back in April. This leak also just showed up a few weeks ago.

As long as you did not "hit" anything to cause the crack, pretty much ALL of the wheel manufacturers have a lifetime structural warranty. Take it to the dealer and if they claim it is not a warranty item, ask for the wheel manufacturer's contact information. Or, call that Discount Tire and ask if they can get a hold of a "take off" wheel for you. I have seen wheels start leaking after being on a vehicle for years. If no one seems to be able to help you, PM me!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the leak figured out and it was not the wheel. Went to a Wal-Mart and they found a nail in the read that got hidden behind the rubber so that you can't see it.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
That's good news, cheaper to fix then a new rim.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
My first suggestion, as long as the crack is not a structural issue, would be to put some sealant in there but that is not always the best idea. I think the reason these wheels crack is because it is cast aluminum.
Just an FYI. Stay away from sealants. It screws with the TPS. Had to replace one for $105.00.:mofo:

·
Registered
862 Posts
I had that same irritating problem on the motorcoach. It turned out to be a pinhole eroded through the 22.5'' Alcoa aluminum wheel. There went $400. They're the same wheels you see on Peterbilts, Kenworth, etc. The wheel is still about 90 lbs., aluminum or not, yet the hole went clear thru. Go figure.

Have the tire guys look for that. The truck shop that worked on the coach found the leak with a water tank. (A hydraulic ram crams the tire/wheel down into the tank) The truck shop guy says it's a fairly common problem with aluminum wheels.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts