Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so on all 4 of my inside door handles the plastic cup has broken off into multiple pieces...anyone have any ideas how to get cheap door panels??? the dealer wants 600 bucks a pop even though they admit its a huge design flaw that they needed to fix...jerks...

thanks guys in advance!

·
Banned
277 Posts
My front two doors are cracked as well. There was a thread about this a while back, and unfortunately I don't think anyone found a cheaper solution to the cosmetic cracking issue, unless you get lucky and find 4 good panels at a salvage yard or something. One member posted a solution to a related problem of the actual handle mechanism that had broken, but not the cosmetic chips. Check these out:

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2858

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13095

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
No problems here. Hopefully I never have that problem as it seems like its an expensive fix.

·
Registered
21 Posts
3 out of 4 of my doors handles are shattered... the second row door on the passenger side was completely destroyed and the handle hangs out of the door.. the dealer said "that's weird" i said "yeah it is..."

·
Registered
158 Posts
I installed one of the kits on my driver's door today. Getting the pin thru with the tension spring can be a pain. Also, after I reinstalled the door panel the factory screw would not reach to the inner door sheet metal to re-secure it. I'll have to get a longer screw. Is the kit worth $325, no. But it sure beats Over $500 for a door panel. And by the way the door panels from Chrysler are on back order, with no date as to when they will be available.

Pinno, if your interior is Kakai, I have 3 of my kits left. 1 left door & 2 rights.

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
Thank the Man upstairs, my door handles are holding up. I have had my middle seat fold down lever break, which is a pain. I haven't researched the cost to replace yet although I keep a pair of waterpumps close by. I basically blame it on Chrysler outsourcing, and have no solution other than to get one from the dealer. Maybe I will someday......

·
Super Moderator
14,936 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thankyou as well 5253,

Did ya'll notice they make the kits for the GC as well?
All along I thought this somewhat failure prone design was Commander specific.

So, the members here that have had this failure don't suffer alone.....sheesh.

Rob
Theire something wrong with the plastic they chose. I've worked for 2 interior suppliers and the plastic gets so brittle. My cups were just crumbling as I removed them.

·
Registered
77 Posts
my driver's side handle cup had a small crack in it for a while. then about 2 months ago i made a normal right hand turn and my knee pressed against the handle and CRACK went the cup, shattered! that sucked, but i'm glad i'm not alone, i thought i did something wrong lol. but now i can't stand the rattling every time i close the door. makes my expensive jeep sound like a POS :( thanks for the link to the replacements, but sheesh that's some expensive plastic!! are these replacement handles of any better quality than the OEM crap?

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
my driver's side handle cup had a small crack in it for a while. then about 2 months ago i made a normal right hand turn and my knee pressed against the handle and CRACK went the cup, shattered! that sucked, but i'm glad i'm not alone, i thought i did something wrong lol. but now i can't stand the rattling every time i close the door. makes my expensive jeep sound like a POS :( thanks for the link to the replacements, but sheesh that's some expensive plastic!! are these replacement handles of any better quality than the OEM crap?
Based on threads like this one, I looked last week and found a crack that went nearly all the way around the cup. I bought a bottle of superglue (the kind with a small applicator brush) and worked the glue into the crack as much as I could. After that dried, I went over the whole thing again with a second coat. To test the fix, I gently pushed the cup and there was little flex. I hope the quickie fix stabilizes the part, but I'm keeping the link to the kit supplier close at hand. A bit of egg on the face of Chrysler over this, especially since there hasn't been a recall. Cheers. Jorge

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I suggest that you remove the door pannel and reinforce the entire pannel including the areas where the pin goes thru. Iused 2 part epoxy on mime.

·
Registered
158 Posts
After I installed the kit on my vehicle, I tok the old cup in my hand and it just cumbled. The plastic gets so brittle over time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts