Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this in the internet while searching, I remember I have seen it before but I'm not sure if it was in this forum. thought its good to share it.

Here is the source and complete thread. http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/2006/09/crash-say-goodbye-to-the-jeep-commander.html

--------------------------------------

Sunday evening my family and I were in the Jeep Commander when our Labor Day holiday came to an abrupt end. We were heading southbound on a six-lane surface street when a car came screaming out of a parking lot on the east side of the road. The car smacked a Subaru Forester that was headed northbound, spinning it in the center turn lane before it continued across the wide road directly at the Commander. My husband, Barry, was driving and swerved to the right in an attempt to prevent the car from broadsiding us. Too late. We went up on to a grass median and struck a stop sign before going head-on into a big tree.

The windshield cracked and the front airbags deployed as we made contact. Barry vomited into the cabin as the airbag went into his chest and stomach. As the front passenger, my seat was further back and the seatbelt prevented me from meeting the airbag. Neither of us received facial injuries, but our chests were traumatized against the belt restraints.

My six-year-old daughter, Emma, was in her booster seat behind me. Miraculously, Emma was uninjured except for a pretty nasty abrasion from the seatbelt's shoulder harness which also did its job holding her mere 40-pound frame safely in place.

All doors were fully functional and we were able to climb out and get away from the Commander to wait for the paramedics.

Barry and I left in an ambulance and after ten hours in the emergency room and countless x-rays, scans and EKGs, we were both released on crutches. He broke his right ankle and I fractured my right foot in five places, including my two biggest toes. Our foot injuries are likely a result of the engine coming through the firewall, into the footwell. Emma was treated and released at the scene of the accident.

The accident occured across from a Starbucks, and there were plenty of witnesses who were lounging on the outside patio. Although as typical in these cases, their reports varied widely as to what type of car caused the accident, and which direction it headed as it fled the scene.

There have been mixed feelings regarding the Commander during the past few weeks, especially since it stranded Dan Edmunds on his Oregon vacation. As for me, I'll be eternally grateful for the Commander's wide front end and solid engine compartment. It took on that tree better than most, and I cringe to think of what could have happenend if less formidable metal had been between us and that giant oak.

This is the last blog post for the Commander. The final wrap-up will post soon.

Kelly Toepke, Manager of Vehicle Testing and Professional Crutch Racer at approximately 26,500 miles.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Another good article, I would like to know the speed of the Commander when it made contact with the tree because based on my experience with accident investigations it would appear that they were traveling at a good click prior to contact. Still impressive that the injuries were minor and glad there were no injuries to the kid.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
At first I thought that you had crashed your XK from the title. Glad everything turned out okay for the owners.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
a49erFan said:
Another good article, I would like to know the speed of the Commander when it made contact with the tree because based on my experience with accident investigations it would appear that they were traveling at a good click prior to contact. Still impressive that the injuries were minor and glad there were no injuries to the kid.
He wrote farther down that it was at around 30-35 mph at impact.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CrzCajun said:
At first I thought that you had crashed your XK from the title. Glad everything turned out okay for the owners.
I expected someone will think that way ;)

·
Registered
122 Posts
My wife's XK was involved in an accident recently. Thank God no one was inside. It was simply just parked in the street in front of our condo. Some moron in a '91 Honda Prelude ran into it. He claims he was reaching for his wallet on the floor, which made his poorly maintained car swerve towards the parked XK. (I suspect he was actually ((edited out) doing something else with) his girlfriend who was also injured with the driver)
He claims that he was only going 25mph... but from what the XK looked ... he was probably going close to 40+ mph.

Insurance took care of 100% of the damages... (Including replacement of the rear left axle, differential, 2 rims, rear bumper, rear subframe, and various rear/driver-side body damage) ... but the inconvenience was what really pissed me off... Pics to follow.

·
Registered
122 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Wow. Just wow. Hopefully I'll never have first hand experience in an accident in the Commander, but if I do, at least I know that I should be ok.

·
Registered
193 Posts
That is the exact reason I went from my 97 Cherokee 2wd to the Commander. Jeep saved me and my wife's life. Check it out:

And the other car (No Joke). Can you guess what make/model it is?:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Wow! I hope the people in the other car were as well off. Did someone cross the centerline?

·
Registered
193 Posts
The lady driving the white car fell asleep at the wheel. I broke my right ankle(both bones) and got a compound fractrue in my femur/thigh. And fractured my sternum/chest.

My wife broke 5 bones in her right foot and shattered her left hip. Nobody died though, so that's all that matters.

--And I can't forget the dog! She got out unscathed, and still LOVES to go Jeeping! :)

It's weird how the injuries sustained by the commander driver were similar to ours..

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
AJGuy84 said:
It's weird how the injuries sustained by the commander driver were similar to ours..
Must have something to do with the same frame set up.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I imagine that the Unibody construction makes it possible to spread the impact force all the way around the vehicle more evenly.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
This thread is a great example of the reason why I'll always own a vehicle at least as big as a midsized SUV. Crumple zones are great and help save lives for sure, but in the end the amount of mass around you still makes all the difference in the world when it comes to walking away from a serious accident.

·
Registered
193 Posts
TR4Runner said:
This thread is a great example of the reason why I'll always own a vehicle at least as big as a midsized SUV. Crumple zones are great and help save lives for sure, but in the end the amount of mass around you still makes all the difference in the world when it comes to walking away from a serious accident.

x2 Fer Sher

1 - 18 of 18 Posts