Jeep Commander Forum banner

Created my own honeycomb grill

5K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  msnowdon 
#1 · (Edited)
I usually come to this group looking for an answer to a problem I’m having because I know someone else has already encountered it. Finally I have something to contribute.

I’ve always liked the look of the honeycomb grill on the newer Jeeps. After searching around like crazy, Ive found nothing for the Commander. The few inserts they do make for the Commander were a metal mesh or billet aluminum.

I was able to finally build my own and am quite happy with the results and wanted to share them in case anyone else was interested.

• · First, after removing the grill from the vehicle, I carefully separated the black inner frame from the (in my case), white outer shell. It is held together by some clips built in to the plastic shell.

• · Then I used a Dremel to cut the 7 sections of vertical slots from the rest of the frame.

• · I then re-attached the shell to the frame. Now it is back together but the 7 slots are wide open.

• · Using a 3’ sheet of ABS plastic honeycomb I purchased on eBay for about $40, I fastened it to the frame with wire ties. I slipped the ties between the black frame and white shell and around the plastic honeycomb.

When I first tried remounting it, it was getting hung up on the black plastic attached behind the top of the bumper. To get it to fit, I did the following:

• · I cut off the pieces of plastic that stuck above the rest of the trim.

• · I relocated a sensor that was attached to one of the tabs over to a tab that wasn’t getting in the way.

• · When I examined the grill, I could see a line where the bottom of the grill sits behind the plastic trim mounted behind the top of the bumper. I trimmed off all the honeycomb material that was covering this section of the grill.

The picture below shows the location of the wire ties (circled in yellow) and the section of the frame that rests behind the top of the bumper (below the red line.)

·

The picture below shows the plastic areas I had to remove. Sorry, I didnt take a picture prior to the removal. The arrows indicate the section of the trim that sits flush against the grill (the area under the red line in the above picture.)

The below picture shows where I moved the sensor because the tab it was attached to had to be removed.

Once that was done, the grill fit perfectly.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That mod sounds awesome it is something I have been pondering for a while and would kind of update the look up front. Unfortunately I can't see the pictures you posted, possibly try dragging and dropping them in the file upload box when creating a reply?

#4 ·
Nice look, does the honeycomb come in chrome? That sensor is for the outside air temperature on the EVIC. Pictures good on both posts.

#6 ·
Must've been a problem on my end then? Anyway I like that look a lot, seeing as a couple of the original inserts in my grill are broken I'll be doing this in the future. Thank you for the detailed write-up!

#9 ·
This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.