Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have been a member on here for a little while and love all of the content on here. i am a proud owner of an 06 commander V6 ( wish it had a hemi ) with a 2 inch daystar lift, 35 inch goodyear SRA tires, Pioneer Avic F90BT, K and N air filter, and soon to be a home made safari rack.

This summer, July 8th 2011, my brother and i will be taking a road trip from detroit michigan, down route 66, to arizona and then vegas, then to san diego, then up the west coast to seattle. from there we will venture east through all of the other states all while visiting national monuments, parks, roadside attractions and any other oddball or intriguing things we see. We will certainly be testing the jeeps capabilities once again (yes i do have another story of how i relentlessly beat the hell out of it and it just keep asking for more).

The reason i am posting on here is because i am looking for any ideas, tips, trails, sites, and possibly help with a sponsorship for the trip. if this all works out well we plan on doing longer more remote and dangerous treks. i plan on putting two cameras in the jeep, one facing out the front windshield, and the second facing inside the jeep.

Thanks for any input guys and i look forward to any messages or posts received. oh and i will keep you guys updated on the safari rack with pictures, let me know if you would be interested in it.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Be sure to take the Pacific Coast Hwy.

·
Registered
149 Posts
How far east are you going?

·
Registered
60 Posts
How did you get 35" tires under a 2" lift. Got any pics I want to see how you did it?

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Stop by one of the Camp Commanders if they fit in your plan.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Somebody delete this! 35 inch tires? Number one they dont fit. Number two your V6 wouldnt turn them. On top of all that your very first post is coming looking for money? I have been here for I dont know how long and never asked for anything but advice, especially not in my first post.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Somebody delete this! 35 inch tires? Number one they dont fit. Number two your V6 wouldnt turn them. On top of all that your very first post is coming looking for money? I have been here for I dont know how long and never asked for anything but advice, especially not in my first post.

sorry that was a typo, they are 33 inch tires, and im not asking you guys for money... if you read the WHOLE post you would see im really looking for advice on treks and other things to see on my trip and if anyone has had any experience with getting sponsorships i would like some info... so relax buddy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How did you get 35" tires under a 2" lift. Got any pics I want to see how you did it?
sorry thats a typo... i meant 33 inch tires. thats what you get when you are talking to someone else as you are typing i guess haha

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
If you like historical stuff the Pea Ridge Battlefield in Pea Ridge Arkansas is kind of cool. It is a paved trail but the views are fantastic.

Unfortunatly I do not know of many (legal) places to go off road around my neck of the woods.

Good luck on the drive.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
The old Route 66 (what's left of it) starts in Chicago and ends in LA. I know this would be off your route, but the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum would be a great visit. Also, the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum in Auburn, In is awesome, as well as the WWII Museum off I-69, also in Auburn. Great idea for a trip. Wish I could go! :icon_cheers:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you like historical stuff the Pea Ridge Battlefield in Pea Ridge Arkansas is kind of cool. It is a paved trail but the views are fantastic.

Unfortunatly I do not know of many (legal) places to go off road around my neck of the woods.

Good luck on the drive.

hey i am not opposed to getting into some places that arent sited for off roading... i am always looking for ways to challenge my jeep.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
USMCMP

i mean honestly what would a sponsorship from a person do for me? im not going to put USMCMP on the side of my jeep for a trip... think about it! anyway, if YOU HAVE ANY IDEAS FOR MY TRIP please feel free to input.

another thing, a 3.7 liter will turn 35 inch tires, albeit not very efficiently, but it will... and if you disagree, then tell me how a 4.0 older jeep wrangler (less hp and torque) can move around some bigger tires than 35??? now go poop on someone else's post.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The old Route 66 (what's left of it) starts in Chicago and ends in LA. I know this would be off your route, but the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum would be a great visit. Also, the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum in Auburn, In is awesome, as well as the WWII Museum off I-69, also in Auburn. Great idea for a trip. Wish I could go! :icon_cheers:

actually that is what we are taking is route 66 all the way to vegas, then from there we are going west (possibly south to mexico for a min depending on the violence) then up pacific coast hwy 1 going all the way up to seattle and back across the top part of the country seeing national parks and whatever else we decide to see... we will have many side tracks off of the main route in order to see as much as possible.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I wasn't pooping on your post. Do you have any pics of your truck though. I wonder how 33's or285's would fit under my truck.

·
Registered
417 Posts
You'll have lots of trouble staying on Route 66 since it's only bits and pieces and you would be jumping on and off the interstate and even running into deads ends.

Two towns I know of that relish in Route 66 are Flagstaff and San Bernadino. Check out some internet info on them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wasn't pooping on your post. Do you have any pics of your truck though. I wonder how 33's or285's would fit under my truck.
the only pictures i have of it now are from when i first bought it... as soon as the weather gets a little nicer i will take some pics. ill tell you now the 33s do rub a little under full steering, and if i have the truck loaded up the rears rub, hence why i want to get some rancho 9000 shocks to stiffen up the suspension a little, i just cant justify the extra 1000 dollars for 2 more inches, especially since i have read that the 4 inch lift on these jeeps tears the front cv joints up like crazy. (correct me if im wrong though).

I will most likely be taking some pics after i get my new wheels

·
1,993 Posts
The super lift corrects the geometry up front keeping the CV axles at stock angle so they don't tear up. Super lift has plenty of miles under the XK now and no one is reporting any like that. If you add the JA upper control arms your even in better condition or add there adjustable front struts as well but those are pricey.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The super lift corrects the geometry up front keeping the CV axles at stock angle so they don't tear up. Super lift has plenty of miles under the XK now and no one is reporting any like that. If you add the JA upper control arms your even in better condition or add there adjustable front struts as well but those are pricey.

i almost wish you didnt point this out to me haha... now im going to be considering the purchase. ill certainly look into it though because i would love another two inches

·
Banned
389 Posts
Welcome Bthorn1983! I'm also brand new here, I think it is very, very important to properly welcome people and make them feel like a site like this is friendly. We all share one thing in common, a love for Jeep's or we all wouldn't be here. Good luck w/ your trip, sounds fun. Also wanted to let you know, I have the Superchips tune on my 4.7 L. and they also make a tune for your 3.7 L. Check that out, especially with the larger footprint the extra power may help you out a lot and help with gas mileage a tiny bit if you run the 87 tune. Rock on!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts