Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To make a long story short, I installed PowerStop's cross drilled/slotted rotors, ceramic pads and calipers on the front of my Commander. I am happy with them. I used PowerStop rotors and pads on the front of my 2000 Grand Cherokee. Again no problem. After I did the rears, I noticed a "buzzing" sound on my Grand Cherokee. I triple checked everything, replaced the calipers and upgraded the pads but the noise still persists.

I just got around to doing the rears on my Commander this past weekend. I already had the parts for a while. Wouldnt you know it. Getting a slight buzzing sound when braking which wasnt there when I just did the fronts.

I was wondering if anyone else had installed performance rotors and noticed any noise. I did see some posts on various sites (not just Jeep) that cross drilled/slotted rotors can make noise. One YouTube video mentions the same situation. Fronts were done just fine. Noise after doing the backs. And this was a different brand of rotors.

Im thinking about going back to solid rotors in the back but Im pissed about spending the money (or wasting it I should say).

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have slotted and cross-drilled rotors on two of my vehicles. On my GTO the rotors and pads cost $2,000 for parts only, for a set of four.
On my Jeep. Slotted cross drilled rotors and pads cost me $400 for a set of four.
Quite a difference in price. But I think the sound you're hearing, is the whirling sound ,of the brake pad hitting the holes.
I didn't watch any YouTube videos to see what you're talking about. But I can see how those drill holes can make noise when you apply the pad pressure. My expensive set ,and my cheap set both do not make noise.
Have you driven a couple hundred miles?
There is a certain way you have to get those pads and rotors set up when they're first installed. Did you follow that procedure ?
I think the sound will go away.
Just my 2 centavos.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy, using speech to text

·
Super Moderator
5,710 Posts
To make a long story short, I installed PowerStop's cross drilled/slotted rotors, ceramic pads and calipers on the front of my Commander. I am happy with them. I used PowerStop rotors and pads on the front of my 2000 Grand Cherokee. Again no problem. After I did the rears, I noticed a "buzzing" sound on my Grand Cherokee. I triple checked everything, replaced the calipers and upgraded the pads but the noise still persists.

I just got around to doing the rears on my Commander this past weekend. I already had the parts for a while. Wouldnt you know it. Getting a slight buzzing sound when braking which wasnt there when I just did the fronts.

I was wondering if anyone else had installed performance rotors and noticed any noise.
I have the Power Stop K2220-36 Front & Rear Z36 Truck and Tow Brake Kit with drilled & slotted rotors. My kit did not come with the calipers (still using the stock Jeep Calipers), just the drilled and slotted rotors along with the Z36 Carbon-Fiber Ceramic Pads & stainless steel shims.

I have no noise at all from my rear brakes; I do get light rubbing/squeaking sounds from my passengers side front tire on occasion, when my XK has been sitting and I move it for the first time in a while - or when I drive it for the first time in the morning on a cool or cold, wet day - but only when I first start moving, at very low speeds until everything warms/loosens up. I've had my mechanic at Jeep check it out and he told me it's completely normal.

I'll deal with that little bit of occasional noise from the Passenger's side front tire, to enjoy the much improved braking capability that the Z36 Power Stop kit gives me.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a break in procedure and I followed it. I just thought it was odd that both my Jeeps are making a noise after installing the cross drilled/slotted rotors on the rears but not when I did the fronts. Its a weird sound, almost mechanical or electrical. Wheel speed sensors? Parking brake adjustment?

Might buy a set of solid rotors to see if the noise goes away.

·
Super Moderator
5,710 Posts
There is a break in procedure and I followed it. I just thought it was odd that both my Jeeps are making a noise after installing the cross drilled/slotted rotors on the rears but not when I did the fronts. Its a weird sound, almost mechanical or electrical. Wheel speed sensors? Parking brake adjustment?

Might buy a set of solid rotors to see if the noise goes away.
Why not just put your stock rotors back on? Were they damaged?

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why not just put your stock rotors back on? Were they damaged?

I already tossed them. But I am in contact with PowerStop and I did notice something was wrong. The stock pads have a semi-circle at the top of the inner backing where as the PowerStop's do not. About 1/3 of the piston is not in contact with the new brake pads.

I circled in red on the attached pictures.

I didnt get a chance to check my Grand Cherokee.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What did PowerStop have to say about that?

I emailed them the same pictures last night. Just waiting to hear back from them.

Their original email from them which led me to this discovery was "Sometimes the inner brake pad can adjust as the vehicle is in motion become crooked as on an angle inside the caliper and the edge of it will rest on the top of the rotor and the other part sits inside the caliper and bracket. That will cause a humming sound also"

They are seated correctly with the notches in the pad backing plates flush against the caliper bracket. It's just that I can actually see the top portion of the piston.

I didnt get a chance to check my other Jeep but Im wondering if its the same problem. Its much noiser on the Grand Cherokee. I was so sure it had to do with the rotors but that may not be the case.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I also just replaced my calipers, rotors and brakes with a Power Stop Kit set 2220:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4750872&cc=1441538&jsn=1

I honestly don't remember if the rear pads had that half circle but the pictures in the description seem to indicate that they do. I'll be under my jeep this weekend so out of curiosity I think I'm going to check.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I also just replaced my calipers, rotors and brakes with a Power Stop Kit set 2220:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4750872&cc=1441538&jsn=1

I honestly don't remember if the rear pads had that half circle but the pictures in the description seem to indicate that they do. I'll be under my jeep this weekend so out of curiosity I think I'm going to check.

I just brought up the link in your post. If you look closely, you can see the semi-circle at the top of the rear pad. I downloaded and attached the picture.

Attachments

·
Banned
159 Posts
I have the powerstop kit on my jeep and I also have a sound when slowing down. its not noticeable unless i have the windows down (which is always cause no AC). I figured it was the holes whistling as the pads crossed over. mine sounds like its coming from the front though not the rear. @BigBlue you say you have no noise when slowing with this kit?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have cross drilled and slotted rotors on my jeep. I haven't noticed any noise when coming to a stop. I also had my calipers powdercoated

·
Registered
184 Posts
I purchased the front and rear kits individually. I must have received the wrong rear pads.
So if you purchase new rear pads and swap them out you'll be all set, right? It's a bummer that the kit you got came with the wrong pads. Perhaps they'll refund you a portion of the order or send you new pads for free?

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So if you purchase new rear pads and swap them out you'll be all set, right? It's a bummer that the kit you got came with the wrong pads. Perhaps they'll refund you a portion of the order or send you new pads for free?

I would think they would send me the pads for free. They have been very responsive in getting back to me.

The thing is my Commander isnt really that bad as far as the noise even with the wrong pads. For some reason, my Grand Cherokee (WJ) is very annoying with the noise. It was fine until I did the rears.

They took down all my information on both Jeeps as well as the calipers I bought for the Grand Cherokee. In an effort to correct the braking noise, I replaced the calipers with their OEM style (not the red ones). One was painted and looked great and one came not painted at all and accumulates surface rust.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts