Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after doing a lot of research and coming up empty handed, I decided to give this kit a shot. It's marketed under the Crown Automotive name as model WK2SP, and under the RT Off-Road name as model RT21038. It's slightly cheaper than the Rough Country kit, and with a great sale price, I ended up getting the kit for a significant discount over any other option.

Upon receipt, it looks very similar to the Rough Country kit. It looks to be made of 1/8" steel, and seems very solid as far as construction goes. It also comes with all the necessary hardware, including 8 lock nuts, 2 bolts for the rear, and 2 washers. The front spacer sits just short of 2" tall, and the rear spacer is 1 3/4" tall.

Install was very straightforward, following exactly the same procedure as the Rough Country kit. Using hand tools and a spring compressor for the rear springs, I was able to do the entire job by myself in less than 8 hours. Afterwards, my alignment was way off, so I took it to a shop, and they aligned it. There was a slight problem with camber, but they were able to get it just barely within spec.

Here's what it looked like before:

And here's what it looks like now:

Overall, I'm very pleased with the kit so far, and it seems like a good alternative to the Rough Country kit, especially if you can find a deal on it. I plan on taking it out on the trails this coming weekend, so I'll see how everything holds up.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, they're the same size. I'm running 245/70R17 General Grabber AT2s.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I recently ordered and installed the RC version on my XK and IIRC the box was marked Crown when i recieved it.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My box was from RT Off-Road. If yours was actually a Crown branded lift, then it's possible that all three lifts are simply cross-listed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would believe they are, mine looked identical to the pics of yours. (Upper left, along with the other goodies I installed)

20160923_173209.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Great write up and thanks for the info. Ordering a spacer lift today and still on the fence on what to get. I know they are all essentially the same but I'm a research nut. Almost ordered the RR 2.25" yesterday but was a bit put off that they want to charge over $20 for shipping and their site claims the package will be 36 lbs. That raises an eyebrow. I might still since it will only be $169 total and I like how beefy the RR lift is and how they're welded. The RC design seems to be all over the place under different brands and even unbranded kits.

Its hard to find good pics of the RR 2.25" kit but a member here sold a set a while back and had a really good picture..

Good to know about the camber issues you ran into. That's something I haven't read yet. Seems more research is in order. This is my wife's DD so I have to get it done right the first time.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After the past few weeks, I've taken this lift through a variety of different conditions. I've taken it through mud and deep water, sand, logs, boulders, rolling mounds, and rocky outcrops, and it's still holding together. Here are my thoughts.

Build quality is great. All the welds are holding and there's no exposed metal or rust. I haven't been gentle on it and it's held together perfectly, so I don't think it'll be a failure point in the future.

However, due to the fact that it's a spacer lift, there are definite drawbacks to off-roading with it. My budget is extremely limited at this point in time, so I couldn't afford to install an OME lift. The price of this kit put it in my price range, and still gave me the ground clearance I needed for the off-roading I was looking to do, so I went for it. The stock ride quality is maintained, but so are stock travel capabilities. I went out with built rigs, most running solid axles and at least 35s, so the trails we followed were very tough for a smaller rig like mine. As a result, especially with the limited travel of the spacer lift, I was constantly lifting tires. The limited slip differentials worked well, allowing me to grab traction with wheels lifting, but otherwise I would have struggled a lot. The greater articulation of the OME lift wouldn't have completely prevented tire lift, but it would have allowed me to keep planted in a lot of crucial areas.

Overall, the lift is great for what it is. If you're just looking to clear some bigger tires, this is a great option. However, if you're planning to do any tough off-roading like me, I highly recommend a full suspension lift instead. With QDII, you can get a long way with this lift, but expect to lift tires a lot.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unfortunately, the images I initially placed in this thread were hosted on Photobucket. I've since been working on moving all my content over to other hosting sites, and the pictures I used in this thread can be found here.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After 20k miles with the Crown lift on, it's finally time for it to come off. I've started to get a lot more serious about the sort of terrain I'll be tackling, and the limits of the Crown lift were starting to become a major problem. The limited articulation in particular was a huge factor in my decision. I may be wheeling the Rubicon in May, so I'm preparing for that. I'll be moving to OME HD springs, so I'll be able to compare the two lifts in the future.

Before removing the Crown lift, though, I decided to take some measurements. The Crown lift netted me 21" measured from the center of the hub to the fender front and rear, leaving me pretty much perfectly level. This was with Hemi springs that have endured 170k miles with significant sagging in the front.

It's worth noting that I've owned the Jeep for the past 60k miles, so for at least 40k miles I was running stock upper control arms at stock height, and my front end felt very well sorted. In these past 20k miles, however, they've becoming noticeably looser, and I assume the lift is primarily to blame for their degradation. In fact, in the past three weeks my front end has been so loose that I've been very concerned about their imminent failure. Therefore, I've got a recommendation for anyone looking to install this lift, or any other: budget for proper UCAs designed for a lift. The stock ones just aren't built to stand up to any lift.

·
Super Moderator
5,766 Posts
It's worth noting that I've owned the Jeep for the past 60k miles, so for at least 40k miles I was running stock upper control arms at stock height, and my front end felt very well sorted. In these past 20k miles, however, they've becoming noticeably looser, and I assume the lift is primarily to blame for their degradation. In fact, in the past three weeks my front end has been so loose that I've been very concerned about their imminent failure. Therefore, I've got a recommendation for anyone looking to install this lift, or any other: budget for proper UCAs designed for a lift. The stock ones just aren't built to stand up to any lift.
Good advice cbw.

·
Registered
336 Posts
if you weren't going to be tackling something as difficult as the rubicon would you keep them on? Also, love the heisgreaterthanI sticker!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
if you weren't going to be tackling something as difficult as the rubicon would you keep them on? Also, love the heisgreaterthanI sticker!
If I was just going for looks, I'd have no problem sticking with the spacers. They give the extra lift without really affecting drivability at all, and honestly they're great for the extra ground clearance needed for some mild off roading. However, my off road group is filled with Wranglers and Toyotas rolling on 35s with dual solid axles and extreme travel, so the trails we tackle really show the limitations of a spacer lift. With only around 2" of compression up front, there just wasn't enough articulation to keep all tires planted.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yeah I have the rough country lift as well. Need new springs as well. It’s the wife’s daily driver and we plan on going on easy trails, drives out to Yosemite’s etc. was thinking about of a whole lift with OME springs and bilsteins but considering what we will most likely be doing, this lift may suit our needs

1 - 17 of 17 Posts