Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Commander is a 2006. Sometimes the cruise control will not come on. After a restart, or sitting, it works fine.
Any ideas? Steering wheel switch contacts?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Is the check engine light on? Any DTC's present?

For certain DTC's, the PCM will disable the cruise control entirely.

If there are no DTC's present, and the CEL is not lit, then possibly the clock spring has an issue, or possibly one of the connections is loose and/or corroded.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No check engine light. I have a scanner and will check for any DTC's. What is the clock spring?

·
Registered
71 Posts
No check engine light. I have a scanner and will check for any DTC's. What is the clock spring?
idk if you resolved this, but the ABS sensor wire located on one of the vehicles spindles will not throw codes, and it WILL kill your cruise control. Others claim brake light switch...but i have never seen that actually be the case.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I used the 3 key turn method to get a "loss of vacuum signal" readout. The commander has thrown CEL messages that were way off base before, so I am not sure if that is the real problem. Even though the code reader showed no codes, I was able to erase that message with it.
My high mounted brake light was out, and once I cleaned the contacts, the cruise has been working.
OBTW- I got an explanation of the clockspring off youtube. A great example of over engineering. Whatever happened to the old fashioned contact plate?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Regards the high mount brake light affecting the cruise control. I disconnected it for a couple days, and the cruise still worked.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts