Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving to work this morning, slide on some ice and smacked a foot high curb which effeted only the left side wheels which hit the curb. My front left tire will need to replaced due to large gash in the side wall. Both rims are a little scratched up from the force impact but the left rear is little bent.

I am going to take it the dealership in the morning, has anyone ever hit any curbage or had any damage from hitting one? Should I worry about long term effects of the rims being bent? I just hope I didn't mess up any of the arms, suspension, the alignment seems fine. I was slidding at about 10-15mph max, just sucks since I just got the truck on Saturday and I guess I should gotten the tire protection.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I did it last year, left front. The rim had a little bend in it. My mechanic took a sledge to it and straightened it out. He suggested that I use it only as a spare so that's what I am doing. If I ever run across another rim cheap I'll pick it up.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
I've hit numerous curbs and screwed up numerous rims and tires before I figured out to try and hit the curb with the tires turned towards it to avoid damage - as long as there is nothing to run over or into on the other side of the sidewalk.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hueypilot has I think 10 spares that he is planniing to give away on our Colorado summer trip next year. Maybe he can help you with some wheels.

·
2,248 Posts
The Rubicon wheels are 5 spoke, are they the same as the ones that come on the Sport model? I actually think we will only have three spares if Jon takes one and we give the new set along with Discount Tires as a give away prize for the gathering. This is what the wheels look like.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
that sucks. luckily thats all it was and everyone is well.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Even though you think the alignment is ok, I would definitely have it checked along with rebalancing the wheels. If the wheels are damaged then you'll know.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Scraping the wheel along the curb normally only causes superficial/cosmetic damage, which is irritating, and over time, with enjoy clogging up with brake dust making it even more attractive.

I had a dealer curb one of my brand new after market rims on my VW GTI I had a couple of years ago, so I had them refinish it so that it was all smooth again.

The XK is the first vehicle I have ever owned that hasn't had a 35 series tire on it! My GTI had 225/35/19's on it!

I hope you can get it repaired to your liking, if not, I have seen many 'single' rims on eBay for about $99 each.

When we bought my wife's brand new Mazda MX5 back in April, after about 2 weeks of ownership, she curbed a rear wheel. I looked on eBay and bought a replacement for $99 shipped. I went to the dealer, they switched it out, then I sold the curbed one on eBay for $150! I made $50 out of my wife curbing a wheel and a little time on the internet, so it isn't all doom and gloom!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts