Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a used Aries 1048 (I believe) brush guard used for $50. I also want to install a front receiver to use with a portable winch when needed. The Curt 31056 front receiver is made for the Commander and is on Amazon for $165. I haven't ordered it yet but I'm getting close. I just got off the phone with Curt product support and the outside dimensions of the receiver with mount brackets is 29.25". I measured inside the brush guard mounts at 29.6" or so. It looks like bolting the brush guard to the receiver brackets should work good. Does anyone have any thoughts on this idea or has anyone done it before?

Assuming I move forward with the project I'll post install pictures and progress.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I recently picked up a used Aries 1048 (I believe) brush guard used for $50. I also want to install a front receiver to use with a portable winch when needed. The Curt 31056 front receiver is made for the Commander and is on Amazon for $165. I haven't ordered it yet but I'm getting close. I just got off the phone with Curt product support and the outside dimensions of the receiver with mount brackets is 29.25". I measured inside the brush guard mounts at 29.6" or so. It looks like bolting the brush guard to the receiver brackets should work good. Does anyone have any thoughts on this idea or has anyone done it before?

Assuming I move forward with the project I'll post install pictures and progress.
I've been considering on trying to finding one of those grill guards (used) and mating it up with my 4xGuard matrix to give my head lights some protection from branches. The matrix setup I put on has the front receiver. Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been considering on trying to finding one of those grill guards (used) and mating it up with my 4xGuard matrix to give my head lights some protection from branches. The matrix setup I put on has the front receiver. Let us know how it works out.

Up4XK, I noticed you have a thread asking about dimensions of the brush guard, assuming that's what mine is, let me know what measurements you need and I can send them to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
140 Posts
Up4XK, I noticed you have a thread asking about dimensions of the brush guard, assuming that's what mine is, let me know what measurements you need and I can send them to you.

Thank you for the response, your first post of this thread answered my question.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ordered:
CURT 31056 Front Hitch with 2-Inch Receiver, Fits Select Jeep Commander
by Amazon.com
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051NO98A/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_ZHWSDb50B74C9

And got it all installed yesterday. I am making a how-to video, I'll post a link when I get it done. Some notes on the install and how I like it.

I did take the bumper cover off to do the install. The receiver comes with fish wires to pull the bolts through the frame holes, but I had the factory tow hooks, in order to remove the tow hook hardware, the bumper/frame caps have to come off, which requires removing the bumper cover. It probably does make the install easier, but the bumper cover is a challenge to get back on over the receiver mount brackets. I did not have to cut or modify the bumper cover for this installation. Two holes in the frame have to be drilled for the receiver brackets. That was it for vehicle modifications. The brush guard width is 1/4-3/8 wider than the receiver, so it fit just fine. I was able to reuse two of the holes in the brush guard and then drilled to new holes to match the receiver bolts. I still have to replace the two upper carriage bolts as I only have round holes in the brush guard and they are a little short. I'll just get grade 8 hex bolts.

Since I was able to find the brush guard used, this was a relatively inexpensive front receiver/brush guard system. And I'm happy with how the brush guard hides the receiver. It does cut into the approach angle some. I haven't measured it but I'll add those details when I do.

Need a couple lights, and to wire up power for a winch at the front and rear.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well, this is my first how-to youtube video so no guarantees. I need to work on sound quality, having my camera fully charged, lighting, tool descriptions, you get the idea. But, this will show the basic installation of the front receiver and attaching the brush guard to it. Enjoy!

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Well, this is my first how-to youtube video so no guarantees. I need to work on sound quality, having my camera fully charged, lighting, tool descriptions, you get the idea. But, this will show the basic installation of the front receiver and attaching the brush guard to it. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/z0ad2oE-TDA
@Sevenjays; Nice job, I enjoyed the tutorial.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts