Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my new custom hood on my XK:

Ok, seriously, I am making a new mod to my XK. Installing a cowl induction hood scoop and redirecting the air intake to it.

Taking measurements and checking clearance. My friend Trini is going to mold it into the hood, paint it silver to match and add a little custom airbrushing to it.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
VERY NICE! I really like the retro-muscle look it gives it. Cannot wait to see it all finished up and airbrushed.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I think it's going to look good. As long as it's blended in well.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Ok, seriously, I am making a new mod to my XK. Installing a cowl induction hood scoop and redirecting the air intake to it.
I thought you were going to buy an Airflow snorkel????

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought you were going to buy an Airflow snorkel????
I had started collecting parts to do a cowl induction hood scoop prior to the completion of the snorkel and prior to blowing my engine. When they actually finished the snorkel I was interested and went back and forth as to which way to go. But after playing with the hood scoop and looking at the snorkel pics, I decided to try something completely different.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Are you planning on trimming the overhang above the cowl area? It looks a little excessive and might look better if it was trimmed even or slightly behind the vertical rise.

And are those ghost flames I'm seeing?

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Have to wait until I get home from work so I can see something other than red x's

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Are you planning on trimming the overhang above the cowl area? It looks a little excessive and might look better if it was trimmed even or slightly behind the vertical rise.
there are several function reasons that part is there but I think it looks good. one thing is it keeps the rain out when your not moving.

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

And are those ghost flames I'm seeing?
The fiberglass edges are molded witha nice curved lip on the overhang so if I were to cut it, it would ruin the edge. Also, it hangs out there to keep the rain out more or less. I guess its just a personal taste thing because I do like how it looks and it clears the windshield with no issues when the hood is opened.

And yes, you caught a glimpse of some ghost flames. We were playing around with some stencils on the scoop. The plan is to have some flames up the entire hood and have my killer clown (aka-phunkeydude) airbrushed right in the center of the hood scoop. Then my friend Trini plans to runs those flames along the sides and cover up all my bush/tree scratches. I am going to let him have some free creativity here as I have seen some of the cool things he has done with his trucks.

By the way, you can see a part of one of his trucks behind the fence. Its a Chevy Blazer (blue) with a small block. But the suspension is all custom made by him. Height wise, the bottom of the passanger window is at my XK's roof line. You have climb up into the cab.

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got a teaser shot via phone.

Scoop is mounted. No turning back now. Molding into the hood with a little bondo now starting.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
cannot wait to see the finished result. I think it will give it a much more aggressive look(even more than your XK already has) I like the idea of the ghost flames but I am interested in seeing the how "phunkeydude" turns out.

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is a pic of my buddy Trini and another one of his trucks. He has 5 different lifted trucks in all. We were out playing on the sand dunes this day.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Looking good, cannot wait to see the finished project.

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hood scoop is from ebay seller racecomposites.

It is listed as Hood Scoop Cowl 37" Long Universal.

Dimensions: 37" L, 22" W, 2" H inches.
Made of hand laid fiberglass and smooth gel coat surface finish.
All scoops are brand new and never been installed.
Made from 5-6 layers of hand-laid fiberglass.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Looking good, I think it will give the already aggressive looking Commander a meaner look. Hey you know that backup sensor light mounted in the headliner that you cant see? Inside your scoop would be sort of trick. (Kind of)

·
2,248 Posts
Now you need a Hood Ornament.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts