Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did my first mod to the 2010 XK I bought back in February over the weekend.

Basically I mail ordered two 3/4" bullnose rings online, went to Sears Hardware and picked up two 3/16"x2"x36" weldable stock and four 7/16"x3" grade 8 bolts.

Cut the 3/16" stock in half (four 18" pieces) drilled two 7/16" holes in each piece for mounting and a 7/8 hole at the end for the bullnose ring. Trimmed the 18" pieces to be tapered on the visible end for asthetics and minor ground clearance. Drilled matching 7/16 holes in the rear subframe that stretches back for the receiver mount and bolted it all together.

The mounting plates had to be slightly bent with the vise and a big C-clamp to fit the hooks.

Hope the images are viewable. Feel free to provide feedback about looks and durability, don't worry about hurting my feelings..... it was all under $50 and a few hours on a Saturday.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
Looks good but a lot of work when you could have just used the hitch receiver.:icon_confused: Actual pics of how they are mounted would be nice.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I've been thinking about this idea in my head for some time now. Looks great BTW, I would also like to see how you did it. Tho, mine will be a bit different......it's still bassically the same as yours, great job.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll take some better pics when I get the chance..... those were done with the cell phone and it's overcast today. They give a good impression of what the average passerbyer will see

I agree that the rear receiver would work, but consider this practice for a front receiver that will be my next project (didn't have time this weekend for that one, else it would have been first).

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
It appears that you have bolted these to the rear frame rails, so correct me if I am wrong. The factory rear tow hook also mounts to the rear of the driver's side frame rail. However, the hook also includes a u-shaped heavy duty brace that bolts to the end of the frame rail on one end and to one of the four holes in the transverse frame member where the hitch receiver bolts in. This brace keeps the frame rail from twisting whenever a lateral load is put on the hook. Just something to think about. Otherwise, they look slick. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
419 Posts
I like the utility of hooks in those spots:

This is from our WK, but it shows 4xGuard's Rear Sliders (and a Rear Guard 2 prototype) that will also fit the XK.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
It appears that you have bolted these to the rear frame rails, so correct me if I am wrong. The factory rear tow hook also mounts to the rear of the driver's side frame rail. However, the hook also includes a u-shaped heavy duty brace that bolts to the end of the frame rail on one end and to one of the four holes in the transverse frame member where the hitch receiver bolts in. This brace keeps the frame rail from twisting whenever a lateral load is put on the hook. Just something to think about. Otherwise, they look slick. :eek:rangehat:
I don't believe those hooks are useable with the hitch installed.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
With a slight modification, the rear tow hook can be used with the hitch, installed just as it would be from the factory. The cross brace has a welded on nut where it attaches to the frame cross member. A long bolt would pass through the frame and attach to this nut, just as the hitch receiver attaches. I installed the hook on the end of the frame rail, and attaced the brace to the hook as per the instructions. However, I cut off the welded on nut, and drilled out the hole. I then slid the brace over the end of the corresponding bolt holding the hitch receiver, and attached the brace with a lock washer and nut. The bolt was long enough to do this, and did not interfere with the spare. So, I may have the only XK with both.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I have the factory rear tow hooks and a factory hitch as well. I did have to argue with the dealer that the rear hooks were part of the tow package. I guess they don't read the owners manual.

·
Registered
419 Posts
when is the skid going to be on the market?
The Sliders/shackle mounts are in production right now.

The Rear Guard 2 is scheduled to go into production soon.

I'd say a person could have both by March.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
I have the factory rear tow hooks and a factory hitch as well. I did have to argue with the dealer that the rear hooks were part of the tow package. I guess they don't read the owners manual.
Just a word of caution - make sure they installed the brace. My trust of dealerships can be lacking in certain instances. :mofo:

·
Registered
953 Posts
There are factory rear tow hooks available...??? I must have dozed off. Would someone post a pic of what that looks like?

:eek:rangehat:

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
There are factory rear tow hooks available...??? I must have dozed off. Would someone post a pic of what that looks like?
:eek:rangehat:
A little hard to see but it is in dhh3's post #11.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree with this assessment, though after working with and drilling through the rear subframe, it is stronger than I initially thought from looking at it and tapping on it.

I wouldn't suggest using them to drag the XK sideways, but from a direction generally rolling backwards should be fine. Also a strap could be placed between the two hooks to balance the load and then the tow strap hooked to that.

As another poster pointed out, these will likely work well as rear skid rails as well. They are 18" long each and sandwich the rear sub frame rails for 12", while the remaining 6" runs under the bumper.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Sliders/shackle mounts are in production right now.

The Rear Guard 2 is scheduled to go into production soon.

I'd say a person could have both by March.
I just went over to 4x looking for the slider/shackle mount you mention, but don't see them. Do you have a link?

·
Registered
419 Posts
There is nothing on the website because they're not available yet. There were some pics posted on 4xG's Facebook page as a teaser. I'll try to track them down for here later.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts