Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's some pictures of what I have been working on for the past couple of weeks in my spare time to try to save some major $$$$.

lights.jpg

rack 2.jpg

·
Registered
735 Posts
it looks good i was going to do that untill i got back tracked and just decide to get one.lol but it looks very nice. good work man.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea I know what you meen I started this think I will have if done in a matter or a week. Now its almost been 2 months but i can only work on it a hour here and there. But it has saved me about $300ish compared to buying one. So I am pretty happy with it. I just have to clean up all the welds and prep it for a finish. I am think either get it line-xed or powder coated. Or possibly paint it with some black epoxy i have for free.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Lots of really talented people here. Nice looking rack!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
What size tubing are you using?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tubing - SCH 4O 3/4" The O.D. is like 1.1... something just a lil larger then an inch
Square Tubing - 2x1x16 GA

Im still working on the mounting ideas

Custom cross rails out of the 2x1 are looking like the way to go or just fab up something simular to the Defenfer Mounts. Not sure yet I want to get it as close to the roof line as possible.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
How much do you think you will have spent in the end?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
PolarBZ said:
How much do you think you will have spent in the end?
On Just the rack I have around $120 in the tubing But I do have a ton of left overs. Then wire for my welder was probally like 1lb or a lil less of wire. Lights are just Hella 500FF for $60 a pair. Then some random hardware. I am shooting for the $300 but may go lil bit over. I still feel that pretty good to have included the lights in this cost.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
looks great. can't wait to see your finished product on your XK.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
have you ever finished this rack and mounted on the Commander? any pics

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just got done with my custom rack on my jeep, i will have to post some pics. I made mine 8' x 4' so i can haul drywall and plywood to job sites. Also use it for everything else. I only spent $110 In steel and about 15 hours of cutting and welding.... Turned out nice

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I just got done with my custom rack on my jeep, i will have to post some pics. I made mine 8' x 4' so i can haul drywall and plywood to job sites. Also use it for everything else. I only spent $110 In steel and about 15 hours of cutting and welding.... Turned out nice
Looking forward to see it.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Mrfixit and Hlracing....can we get more pics? Are you using the cross rails that come with the Commander to attach your racks or some other attachment?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts