Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
It uses a special grease, that usually only comes with a rebuild kit. The thinking is, you don't mess with it, unless you going to replace it or rebuild it. You'll just compromise the boot trying to add grease.

If the boot is in good shape and its just a little grease, just keep an eye on it, they can leak a little and still last for years more.

If the boot is torn or cracked, replace the boot with a special kit that might NOT work, or rebuild the axle.

I'm sure there are people that have added the grease, or fixed the boots and it worked, BUT, I'm NOT one of them, hopefully one of them will come along and give you the info your looking for.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
The ball bearings, boots, all the plastic and rubber pieces. Seen the procedures briefly, it didn't look that difficult, but at the same time, I wouldn't be shocked if there is some need to use an arbor press and I know there is a special tool for the straps for the boots that is needed.

Like a lot of things, you can also buy the CV Shaft rebuilt for you.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I need to replace my drivers side one. If I remember the replacement one was about $100 from Oreilly's.
The only reason I haven't done it yet is that there is a clip around the shaft where it goes into the diff and I wasn't sure if I had to pull the cover off the diff or not.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I thought I could just undo the boot put some fresh grease in there LOL. I'll have to see if I can find one I would like a spare to carry with me on the trail.
The thinking behind the CV shafts and being sealed for life, is that you're more likely to introduce problems opening it up and attempting preventative maintenance, then if you just left it alone and sealed up with NO dirt or contamination in it.

We are assuming that both CV shafts are the same part number, dimensions, etc; can anyone confirm this? There is an extension housing on the front diff case, assumingly to give even length CV shafts, you would think they would make both drive shafts the same for simplicity and logistics sake, BUT, you never know, there may have been a reason for having different ones.

·
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We are assuming that both CV shafts are the same part number, dimensions, etc; can anyone confirm this? There is an extension housing on the front diff case, assumingly to give even length CV shafts, you would think they would make both drive shafts the same for simplicity and logistics sake, BUT, you never know, there may have been a reason for having different ones.
Already looked that up there listed in left and right side
Ran into a problem with my plan the CV axles are side specific so I would have to buy two of them to have a spare or get really lucky and guess which side will fail first LOL
http://www.jcwhitney.com/cv-drive-axle-remanufactured/p2022110.jcwx?filterid=d17643y2007j1

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Sal is correct. The cv axles are different left and right. Like others stated I wouldnt even bother messing with that cv. Your better off just getting a new one as they are not that expensive at all. I've noticed on some vehicle that the remanufactured cv's dont last nearly as long as the ones you get right from the dealer. Yes the dealer is a little more expensive but in the end it will save you the hassle of having to replace it again in the near future.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Relacing a noisy CV

It sounds like my R/H CV is on the way out so I want to buy a replacement set of front half shafts with CV's. Here in Australia the dealers want $2400 for the pair so I’m going to buy a set of remanufactured ones ex USA.

I have a QDII set up on my Commander so which set do I buy? The ones to suit the LSD or the one without the LSP.
I'm sure it should be with the LSD but I need to be sure when ordering O/S. By the way if I buy ex USA and pay for freight the set should only be just over $300.

Also can someone direct me to a thread with instructions on how to fit the CV's?

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
QDII has the ELSD, which I could see be listed as an LSD in the application chart for the CV shaft seller.

The ELSD is a little larger than the standard open Diff of QTI and QTII, and the case is a little larger also, so "I'm Guessing" the CV shaft should be a little different in length to fit the bigger case and differential.

·
Registered
162 Posts
CV remove & install instructions required

Thanks for that i did end up checking on line and i have now order my replacement CV's.
Can some one point me to where i can find the remove and install instructions for the CV's?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts