Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be in the wrong subforum, so sorry if it is...
Hi all,
So my FR axle has finally worn out and started leaking grease all over the place, so it's time to swap it out.
Does anyone have any recommendations on an aftermarket CV assembly that's better than stock, or should I just replace it with a new OEM one?

Cheers!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Holy crap those are pricey!

I think I saw them on CarID too for about $2K.

I guess I'll stick with OEM CV's then...

·
Administrator
6,212 Posts
This might be in the wrong subforum, so sorry if it is...
Hi all,
So my FR axle has finally worn out and started leaking grease all over the place, so it's time to swap it out.
Does anyone have any recommendations on an aftermarket CV assembly that's better than stock, or should I just replace it with a new OEM one?

Cheers!
Personally, I'd stick with OEM parts, so long as you can find them, but, it's your call.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it is.

Only thing that confuses me is that there are three part numbers (two for a left side and one for a right):
https://parts.moparonlineparts.com/auto-parts/2006/jeep/commander/base-trim/4-7l-v8-gas-engine/front-drive-axle-cat/front-axle-scat

- (52104701AB) is "Left. With elect. diff. With electic limited slip."
- (52104590AA) is "Right. Without elect. diff. With electic limited slip."
- (52104591AB) is "Left. Without elect. diff. Without electic limited slip."

I was under the impression that both sides are the same, but now I'm confused and not sure which part I actually need to get...

·
Registered
377 Posts
I think it is.

Only thing that confuses me is that there are three part numbers (two for a left side and one for a right):
https://parts.moparonlineparts.com/auto-parts/2006/jeep/commander/base-trim/4-7l-v8-gas-engine/front-drive-axle-cat/front-axle-scat

- (52104701AB) is "Left. With elect. diff. With electic limited slip."
- (52104590AA) is "Right. Without elect. diff. With electic limited slip."
- (52104591AB) is "Left. Without elect. diff. Without electic limited slip."

I was under the impression that both sides are the same, but now I'm confused and not sure which part I actually need to get...
QDII diff is different size than QTI & II so CVs are different sizes too.

Count your rear diff cover bolts. If you have 12, you have QDII with elect diff / limited slip.

And...both sides are not the same regardless of diff type...

If you tackle this yourself, your strut lower fork bolts might give you problems. You'll have to remove them to get the CVs out.

I had to cut mine out and replaced the LCAs as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QDII diff is different size than QTI & II so CVs are different sizes too.

Count your rear diff cover bolts. If you have 12, you have QDII with elect diff / limited slip.

And...both sides are not the same regardless of diff type...

If you tackle this yourself, your strut lower fork bolts might give you problems. You'll have to remove them to get the CVs out.

I had to cut mine out and replaced the LCAs as well.
Thanks for the info! I have a QT-II (10 bolt and the 4.7 V8 was QT-II), so I guess I need to find both a left and a right without an electric diff and without a limited slip...

Reactions: Big Blue

·
Administrator
6,212 Posts
Thanks for the info! I have a QT-II (10 bolt and the 4.7 V8 was QT-II), so I guess I need to find both a left and a right without an electric diff and without a limited slip...
Your factory build sheet would also give you that information if you were unsure;

To get the factory build sheet for your Commander enter your VIN here:

https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing

The factory build sheet will list all of the factory options & optional preferred equipment packages that your vehicle had installed from the factory when it was built.

In any event; if you don't mind, please list the correct parts numbers for the CV Axles when you find them; Thanks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have had success with the Mopar Reman axles. They are a bit cheaper and you can find them without a core charge.

Part numbers are R2104591AA and R2104591AB

These are done by Mopar, not just Mopar axles being rebuilt by whoever.

Might have to do a little looking to find them, but I have had no problems out of them.

The cheap axles absolutely don't work on the Commanders, ask me how I know! :laugh2:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your factory build sheet would also give you that information if you were unsure;

To get the factory build sheet for your Commander enter your VIN here:

https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing

The factory build sheet will list all of the factory options & optional preferred equipment packages that your vehicle had installed from the factory when it was built.

In any event; if you don't mind, please list the correct parts numbers for the CV Axles when you find them; Thanks.

Got it! Thanks!

So, like I thought, it is a QT-II with a 200MM front and 300MM rear axle.

Based on that, according to FactoryChryslerParts, the parts I need are 52104590AA for the right side and 52104591AB for the left. All-in-all it'll be about $600 for the parts...

·
Administrator
6,212 Posts
Got it! Thanks!

So, like I thought, it is a QT-II with a 200MM front and 300MM rear axle.

Based on that, according to FactoryChryslerParts, the parts I need are 52104590AA for the right side and 52104591AB for the left. All-in-all it'll be about $600 for the parts...
No problem @JeepersXKreepers & money well spent in my humble opinion.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have had success with the Mopar Reman axles. They are a bit cheaper and you can find them without a core charge.

Part numbers are R2104591AA and R2104591AB

These are done by Mopar, not just Mopar axles being rebuilt by whoever.

Might have to do a little looking to find them, but I have had no problems out of them.

The cheap axles absolutely don't work on the Commanders, ask me how I know! /forums/images/JeepCommander_2016/smilies/tango_face_smile_big.png
Good info.

Which cheap ones did you try?

I replaced mine with cardone units from rockauto. Will see how long they last...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just ordered the Mopars... Wallet feels lighter already... :(

·
Registered
56 Posts
Good info.

Which cheap ones did you try?

I replaced mine with cardone units from rockauto. Will see how long they last...
They were Carquest....:laugh2:

I thought the first one was a dud, but I ended up with the same problem with a replacement. There was so much play in the joints that as soon as I'd get on the throttle, it would flop around like a noodle. I could barely move the reman joints.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts