Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Jeep Commander Limited 3.0 2006
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.I wish to kindly ask you regarding CV front and rear driveshaft.
I have change them both, twice in a 3months period.The garage has took them of without marking them on either side(for proper replacement into inicial state)and not adjusted the angle for the alignment.
All this above mentioned, I have just realised it reading through driveshaft related comments.
The last CV(rear) has lasted 30miles, vibration over 60mph and overheated, melted(photos attached)
Cross Religious item Artifact Road surface Asphalt

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel Rim

Wood Circle Auto part Automotive wheel system Metal

My question is :
1# the optimal driveline angle adjustment makes the difference or it might be something else that is ravishing the CV DRIVESHAFT?
I should mention that in front the tires are
255/65/17 at rear 245/70/17, in case this is a negativ factor
2# The CV is of -Will the engine or differential be damaged, if I keep on driving the vehicle without the CV, until I get the new parts for fitting?
Thank you for your time and effort in responding
Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel Rim

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
1,881 Posts
I see you made a brief signature, please provide more details in your signature -
Make a signature with your Commander details. (year, model trim, engine, 4wd system, etc.) It is nice for us know what your Commander has in it so we can better help you.

To make a Signature click here - Signature - How to make or modify

To get the list of everything built into your Commander when built at the factory - have your VIN number (case sensitive) and go here Chrysler Build sheet - Equipment Listing Not necessarily for your signature but so you know what you have.

Reactions: JeepX

·
Premium Member
Dallas TX
449 Posts
i do not think you want to be running different size tires front to rear, the difference in the speed of rotation will have to me "made up" somewhere. is there any lift on the vehicle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i do not think you want to be running different size tires front to rear, the difference in the speed of rotation will have to me "made up" somewhere. is there any lift on the vehicle.
I am changing the tires tomorrow to have same sizes.
Should I align the driveshaft?
Thank you for your answer

·
Registered
06 _ 5.7L _QD2 _ 142k _ 5100s 2.5" _ 265x70x17 _ stock wheels
316 Posts
@patf111 is right the tire size is making the two axles fight against each other. It most likely the cause of your problem.
The chart below show a 36mm circumference variance which is pretty major.
Font Rectangle Material property Parallel Circle
Font Rectangle Material property Parallel Circle

Driveshaft alignment is not as critical, once you lose it you can only just rotate one bolt hole at a time if youre getting vibrations to try and get it better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@patf111 is right the tire size is making the two axles fight against each other. It most likely the cause of your problem.
The chart below show a 36mm circumference variance which is pretty major.
View attachment 44199 View attachment 44199
Driveshaft alignment is not as critical, once you lose it you can only just rotate one bolt hole at a time if youre getting vibrations to try and get it better.
Good morning
Thank you for your detailed explanation.It makes sense now, we had loaded around 400kg (between us, luggages and roof rack) and drove 30miles with the new rear cvjoint and has broken down.
The vehicle has no lift applied.
Grateful for you time and effort

·
Premium Member
Dallas TX
449 Posts
if there is no lift, you should not have to worry about driveshaft angles.

Reactions: JeepX

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for your replies.
Cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Probably got burned up at high temperature, in those 30miles I manage to drove with it.(I assume)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts