Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advice is appreciated. I have been trying for hours to get the drivers side CV axle removed from my 2006 4.7 QT2. The axle is apart and the only part left is the cup and shaft that extend into the differential. I tired prying and turning. I bought a 5lb slide hammer with a CV joint removal attachment and nothing. I will try and make an adapter to attach a pair of vicegrips to the slide hammer.
I am at wits end here. I know there is a clip to keep it in but is there anyway to know when it is lined up for removal? I dont want to cause damage to the dif by working on this too hard etc. Any advice or past findings are appreciated. :icon_confused:

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Its possible there is some corrosion seizing it, a couple of light raps with a hammer, NOT enough to do any damage to the surface, in any direction might be enough shock to free it up.

When I've run into this, it usually the clip that just isn't giving, you just have to pry harder and it pops out eventually. I've used a pry bar, where I back it up and pop it, instead of doing an even steady pry, sometimes just that popping motion frees it up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there any way to know when you are lined up or a way to get penetrating oil in there. I just cant imagine that with as hard as im slide hammering its not coming loose. I cant seem to get a good bite anywhere to use a prybar either?

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
There is already oil in the axle, I doubt penetrating oil is going to do anything. The clip that retains it, is what gets stuck. Try pushing the axle in, turning a half turn, a couple of times in between pry out attempts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't get it popped out yet. Had to leave for an out of town business trip, but will attack it with a larger pry bar on Thursday. I appreciate the advice guys. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
CV Axle removal

Hey man I see it has been since 2014 since you removed your front cv shaft. What was the verdict, how did you get it out? I am about to change out my axle in the morning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts