Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
You could put D-rings on the Mopar guard.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
You could put D-rings on the Mopar guard.
No you cannot. It is very thin steel and it only bolts to the plastic fascia where it meets the grill and on the bottom side. There is no way it could handle any pulling at all.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
basically would have to build a backing plate to go behind the bumper that attaches to the frame that would then be bolted to the grille gaurd....so in other words just buy mopar tow hooks..:stickpoke:

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
you can get some D-ring mounts that will bolt to the spot where the mopar hooks go. I know some members have done that but cannot find it on the forum.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Have you checked out the 4xGuard Matrix? The Matrix Basic gets you some very solid D-ring points, and you can later add a 2" receiver, hoops, lights, or whatever else 4xGuard is offering at that point. (The Basic is the foundation for the other additional Matrix modifications.)

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Have you checked out the 4xGuard Matrix? The Matrix Basic gets you some very solid D-ring points, and you can later add a 2" receiver, hoops, lights, or whatever else 4xGuard is offering at that point. (The Basic is the foundation for the other additional Matrix modifications.)

HMMM i have heard of them but never looked into it...ill check....do you have pics with the Matrix mounted on the commander...on their site it says wk only

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
im not much of a fan of the entire bumper....but that reciever/d ring setup has got me thinking.....thats all i really need...
That flexibility is one of the many things I love about the Matrix design. You can get the minimum (d-ring points), but you can also add a whole lot of things to it as money or whim dictates. Pay for what you want, don't get what you don't want, and there's no real price penalty for adding bits later. A slick way to go.

I think I covered most specifics about the Matrix in my write-up that adamag25 linked to, but if there are any other questions about it, let me know.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i just got the matrix basic and i have not installed it yet, it has just the mounts for D rings. i think i will add on other options later. will post pics when i get it on.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I was going to wait til I had this a little more finished, but might as well show what I have. The main cross bar is 1/4" c-channel all of the tubes are 3/16" wall 2x2" and 2x3". The mount plates (that's not done, thus the jackstands holding it up) are going to be gusseted 1/4" plate. I'm also insterting frame stiffeners of 1x2"- 3/16"wall tube that's about 20" long inside the frame with mound studs dropping through. It's about 50lbs as it sits. With the mount plates and frame insterts, my guess is it will end up around 65lbs.

I actually still don't know if I like it, might end up cutting the wings off and making them longer to match the bumper's bump-outs. The square tube seems to fit the squared off lines of the Commander, but I don't want the end product to look like a hill-billy bash gaurd. I figured I'd get everything welded, dress the welds paint and such, mount it and see. Worse comes to worse, it's another peice of scrap to go in the dumpster.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Here's a side view of the beastly project. I doesn't lower the approach angle too much, but doesn't tuck as tight as the Matrix (which I love by the way). And no, the plywood between the upper bar and grill isn't staying:)

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I really like the lower part but I am not a fan of the hoop. If you could get a piece of bent tubing and maybe bring it down a little lower, below the hood line. Then I think you would really have something

·
Registered
135 Posts
The hoop's the part I'm not sure that I like. The side view picture is at a low angle, the hoop is just below the hood line as it sits (like the front view). I was going to get some tube bent, but all of my suppliers aren't set up for this type of tube (heavy wall). It would have cost quite a bit to have done.

As for mounting, I'm making 2 semi-triangular plates that will capture all 4 factory tow hook holes on each side. I've got vertical drop-downs cut out of the same 2x3" heavy wall tube ran edgewise to transition from the current angled arms and the mount plates also with gussets. 1/4" backing/stud plates are going in the factory cross bar and 1x2 heavy wall tubes as frame inserts/stud plates in the frame rails. It will have a total of 8- 1/2" bolts holding the bar on and 4 more 1/2" bolts coming down through the frame inserts to 1/4" outer plates for the frame. The inserts go all the bay back to the front suspension mounts. I'm doing everything bolt-on and the only permanent mods I'll have to do is cutting the outer 2 plastic bars out of the bumper cover to slip the mount plates in.

I think it's retardedly over-built, but I want it as beefy as possible. Nothing worse than having something give at the most inopportune moment.

Of course I'll take plenty of pics when (if) I finally get it done. Don't hold your breath though, it's been sitting like this for the past 2 months.

By the way, I did all of the initial layout in CAD so if it works, I'll post the design in pdf for anyone to do or have done.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts