Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Commander for almost a year, and 40,000 miles. I've been thrilled with it thus far, but now my passenger side carpet is soaked when it rains. I've searched back and read the service bulletins. Any suggestions on determining which cause is most likely? As far as I can tell, only the carpet is wet. The stuff in the door pocket is dry, the door seems dry, the seat is dry. Suggestions? We go to the dealer Monday, and we're out of warranty, obviously.

Katy

·
Registered
42 Posts
Try pulling back the carpet on the passenger side. Up near the kickpanel area see if the sunroof drain tube is still through the floor board and the hose did not come out of the grommet. I see this all the time on Commanders and Jeep Grand Cherokees.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I had the same problem as well, twice. The first trip to the dealer, they found the evaporator was leaking, thus creating condensation and damped the carpet and jute under it. The carpet will need to be dried out and deordorized, and the jute beneathe it had to be replaced.

The second time, it was found the windshield on that same side, wasn't completely sealed, so they had to reseal it as well.

Good luck...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We'll check under the carpet in the morning. That sounds right, because it isn't wet anywhere else. I hope it is that easy. My car got hit on that side and they worked under there a lot. Do you think that's how it got knocked loose? Is there any way to keep that from happening. I hate the wet smell!!! My jeep is too nice for that.

·
Registered
452 Posts
joskt0204 said:
We'll check under the carpet in the morning. That sounds right, because it isn't wet anywhere else. I hope it is that easy. My car got hit on that side and they worked under there a lot. Do you think that's how it got knocked loose? Is there any way to keep that from happening. I hate the wet smell!!! My jeep is too nice for that.

It can really vary, but the body shop is assumingly responsible in getting your vehicle to pre-loss condition. I would have to say, the two suggestions I mentioned earlier, as well as the A- & B- pillars are another set of items to have checked over. Also besure the sunroof isn't leaking as well. -Good luck-

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much - it is fixed. Took my husband about 10 seconds. The drain tube was tucked up under the carpet, rather than in the hole. I don't know if the body shop did that accidentally, or if it has always been that way. We've been having a major drought here in east Tennessee, so we haven't had rain before now since I've had it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is. I have this very clear image in my head of the dealership taking the whole sunroof apart, removing the windshield, etc - all the while the drain line lying there under the carpet, leaking water.

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
Did you happen to take any pics when you were fixing the tube? Would be nice in case some of us need for a reference in the future. Or can you describe the exact location of the tube?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Does the carpet just lift up or do you have to remove the plastic along the side? Just found mine wet the one other thing I have done is remove the screws that hold in the glove box & door in place. I was looking and also felt behind looking for a lost safe deposit box key. Could I have knocked th AC drain line loose? I will take a closer look in the morning.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I had the same problem with my Liberty it was the sunroof draintube that it was clogged

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry - I hadn't checked this board in a bit. I just pulled the carpet up - you have to pop it from under the trim, but it's not attached. I don't know about the drain tube;my husband did that part. He said it was glaringly obvious.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts