Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to add some sort of dash cam to my Jeep. I have a DVR and bullet cam that I've used in the past, but the wires and plug ins are a pain in the ass to take in and out and I can't seem to find a decent place to perma-mount all the crap.

First I went looking for a mount for the dash, but discovered a cute little dash cam with a 5-hour run time that automatically overwrites itself when it runs out of room. Now, I'm sure the quality isn't great, but the reduction in hassle would be a big benefit.

Has anyone else done a forward-looking camera set-up? Just curious as to what others have learned from their experiences...

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Couple of reasons -
1. For those off-road times... good for reliving the moment.
2. For accident or traffic incidents, no one ever tells the truth and a dash cam doesn't lie about what color the light was.

There's two, but the reason I want one is for those impromptu off road moments.
=)

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
i thought about this when we were discussing the front sensors on the UK versions of the XK.

handy for recording or looking to see how close you are the car in front of you.....

·
Registered
87 Posts
PolarBZ,

This is slightly off topic, but what kind of DVR unit do you have? I've been searching for a reasonablly priced DVR recorder that could be used with a standard A/V output. Basically I'm looking for a battery operated VCR. Sony used to make a unit callled the Sony EVO-250 (example - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dllViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=320239325480&_trksid=p3984.cWAT.m240.lVI

I recently bought something like this off of ebay (I paid $70, then sold it again) -
http://cgi.ebay.com/McCoys-Law-Line-ITRACK-Car-Video-System-Sony-EVO-250_W0QQitemZ180231582588QQihZ008QQcategoryZ48629QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

Although the headliner was very interesting, the Sony Evo-250 in it was hardwired and could not be used with a camcorder battery.

The point of this rambling: 1) You might want to look into something like this headliner unit for your recording. They are on e-bay all the time. 2) Do you know of a battery powered DVR unit that would connect to a TV to record.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
2,248 Posts
I remember reading in the owners manual that the camera that is mounted under the rear view mirror already does record video that can be used after an accident. I think that camera is also used to dim your lights. Of course it might have been my imagination.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think I have a camera that records anything forward. If I do, I think I need to find wherever its recording to and figure out how to download it.

·
2,248 Posts
In the 2007 owners manual on page 55 it describes the "Event Data Recorder". Though it does not specifically list video as data that is captured, it does say that approximately 2 seconds of data is captured when triggered by an Airbag Deployment.
On page 121 it states that a digital camera mounted under the rear view mirror controls the Smartbeams. I will read thru it again, I thought I read something about capturing so manu seconds of video from a loop after airbag deployment. If it does not do it now I bet it will in the future.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
SMARTBEAM® SYSTEM
The optional SmartBeam® (auto high) system, includes the SmartBeam® module with digital imager camera and electronic circuitry integral to the electrochromic inside rear view mirror, the SCM, the FCM, the EMIC, the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) and the left (lighting) multi-function switch. First, the Auto Low/High option must be enabled using the customer programmable features function of the EVIC. Then the A (Automatic) position must be selected using the left multi-function switch. Finally, the vehicle speed must be greater than 32 kilometers-per-hour (20 miles-per-hour).

Once all of these prerequisites have been met, the SmartBeam® camera and its circuitry within the electrochromic mirror automatically sends the appropriate electronic headlamp beam select switch status messages to the FCM over the CAN data bus. The FCM then responds to these messages by providing a pulse width modulated voltage output to the proper headlamp bulbs through the right and left low and high beam feed circuits to illuminate the headlamps. The FCM also sends the appropriate electronic messages to the EMIC to control the illumination of the high beam indicator.

The SCM continues to monitor the left multi-function switch, and will send the appropriate electronic messages to the SmartBeam® circuitry in the inside rear view mirror and to the FCM to manually invoke the beam select switch momentary optical horn (flash-to-pass) feature or, when a detent switch position is selected to override SmartBeam® operation.

·
Super Moderator
15,102 Posts
HueyPilotVN said:
In the 2007 owners manual on page 55 it describes the "Event Data Recorder". Though it does not specifically list video as data that is captured, it does say that approximately 2 seconds of data is captured when triggered by an Airbag Deployment.
On page 121 it states that a digital camera mounted under the rear view mirror controls the Smartbeams. I will read thru it again, I thought I read something about capturing so manu seconds of video from a loop after airbag deployment. If it does not do it now I bet it will in the future.
The Event Data Recorder is what is commonly referred to as the "black box". It does not record video (yet) or have anything to do with the Smartbeam camera. I'm not sure when they started putting these in automobiles but all cars have had these in them for quite a few years now. They record data such as speed and braking in the event of an accident. This information can be used by accident investigators. "Big Brother" is watching.

·
Super Moderator
15,102 Posts
jeep5253 said:
The Event Data Recorder is what is commonly referred to as the "black box". It does not record video (yet) or have anything to do with the Smartbeam camera. I'm not sure when they started putting these in automobiles but all cars have had these in them for quite a few years now. They record data such as speed and braking in the event of an accident. This information can be used by accident investigators. "Big Brother" is watching.
Ok, it looks like all cars do not have the black box. Here is info on it at Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Event_data_recorder

·
Registered
76 Posts
As long as the "Black box" is used for accidents, I'm all for it. There's a lot of stupid people out there who make up incredible stories on how "YOU" hit them whereas you got T-boned at the intersection.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Even an event data recorder wont know if the light was red or not.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
well, the smartbeam system did state it has a camera mounted by the mirror, the event recorder doesnt mention a camera. "module with digital imager camera and electronic circuitry integral to the electrochromic inside rear view mirror" and then we have"the SmartBeam® camera and its circuitry " so appearantly it exists in some models. Other models also have self leveling motors but that wasnt mentioned was it?
The event recorder functions much as the faults register in the on board computer. if you plug into it, it tells you what happened.

here is another version of a camera: http://www.spytechs.com/spy_cameras/car-camera.htm

http://www.drivecam.com/

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That spytech camera is exactly the one I was looking at (but you can get it on ebay for 69 including a 1 gig SD card). Its tempting to have an ongoing dash cam for under $100. I'd throw in a 2 gig card and get 5 hours, that'd cover enough for me.

·
Registered
178 Posts
PolarBZ said:
That spytech camera is exactly the one I was looking at (but you can get it on ebay for 69 including a 1 gig SD card). Its tempting to have an ongoing dash cam for under $100. I'd throw in a 2 gig card and get 5 hours, that'd cover enough for me.
This is an interesting idea. I'm going to have to look at the FLIR site again. I'm pretty sure the technology in that camera is a dumb downed version of what the military uses and you see the border guards now using. I wonder if you can change from white hot to black hot...hmmm.

Cheers,
O'C

1 - 19 of 19 Posts