Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys -

I few weeks ago i noticed that the light for my manual temperature knob was not working. Tonight all lights on the manual climate control module stopped working (P/N P55111009AM). After tearing this thing apart to get to the bulbs I noticed that they are part of the circuit board. Can these bulbs not be replaced? Do I need to spend $100 to replace the entire module for 3 or 4 stinking bulbs?

Please tell me there is another way!

Thanks for the help!:bowdown::icon_confused:

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
No, the bulbs can not be replaced.

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fairly easy to get to and open. The guy at the dealership told me that they have no specs on the unit and only sell a complete unit. The guys at the electronics supply store say they need to know the voltage and amp draw of the 3 bulbs to see if they have something comparable.

I am going to try a few different bulb types to see if I have any luck. Worse case is I break and and need to spend the $100.06 to replace it anyway.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Bob123

I'll definitely do this mod. Going to work now with no time to search, does anyone know what LED's and resistor was used in this video?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Fairly easy to get to and open. The guy at the dealership told me that they have no specs on the unit and only sell a complete unit. The guys at the electronics supply store say they need to know the voltage and amp draw of the 3 bulbs to see if they have something comparable.

I am going to try a few different bulb types to see if I have any luck. Worse case is I break and and need to spend the $100.06 to replace it anyway.
for guys who work in an electronics supplier they know jack about electrical theory.

they need to know the wattage, well more like milliwattage of the LED rather than the specific current draw as P=V*I or R= V/I combine the 2 formulas and you get therelationship between resistance voltage and power and P= V*V/ R .

most LEDs are rated 3-12V the resistor is there to limit the current drawn, unless its in parallel then its to alter the P.D. across the LED
measure the voltage across the terminals of the LED and thats the voltage rating you want. the rest just follows on a higher wattage produces more heat so a low watt bright LED is gonna be better.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I replaced the unit until lights can be purchased and now the heater control knob and selector switch does not seem to be working. The blower switch will cycle through all speeds but turning from hot to cold has no affect and floor to defrost does not change.

Does the system need to be reset or something?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I played around with this all morning and it would intermittently work. The issue is that moving the temp controller from hot to cold has no affect, and moving the locator button from floor to defrost does not work either.

Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
You might have accidently messed something up on the circuit board or missed plugging something in. I am pretty sure that the computer would not have to be reset.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Digging up another old subject

Anyone finally resolve this issue as I have ran into the smae issue and was searching for answers...

·
Registered
422 Posts
Bump...fishing for an answer...anyone else get any kind of result with htis problem?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All,

Great Site!

So, I need to replace my Heater/AC dash module also because the lights went out. And thanks for all the info here.

What I need to know is exactly how to get the unit out?

I have removed the dash (16 screws), But how d I remove the gear shift knob housing to pull out the heater/AC module? Do I pull up the chrome ring that surrounds my Gear Shift Knob, does the rest just pop out?

Thanks for any help

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had the same happen to my recent purchased 2006 Comannder. Her said the new control unit would be around $160 and then had to be programmed, which would total around $200 bucks. Too much for lighting. I went to Auto Zone and purchase 2 mini led lights that you plug into cig. lighter. Have adhesive backing and mounted over both control knobs. Also since the cig lighter has no power till inginion switch is on, I dont have to worry bout leaving on and running down the battery. Apperance not to bad. Bert from Tennessee (yeah were r rednecks)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Dash Light Out

How difficult is it to change out the bulb that illuminates the left side of the heater controls? Ours is out and I would like to get it fixed. It is the one that illuminates the fan control. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Chuck

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts