Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday we had a lot of rain and so forth and on the way home my husband said several lights came on the dash. He could not get them to go off. This morning he started it no more lights. On his way back from PT (navy guy he was running) he said all of the gauges went dead like he shut the jeep off then they all came back on. Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas or suggestions would be great before I take it down to drop it off at the dealer.

Thanks in advance
Tlambert

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yea i had the same prob with my 06 JC. just a two or three weeks ago. You should take it to the dealer ship cause my prob got worse where the dash didnt come back on at all and when i tried to turn i felt some grinding in the wheels it was weird so after having it towed to the dealer :( they keep it for a few days and told me they had to replace the ignition switch so far its been working fine since..

·
Registered
11 Posts
:confused: My commander did the same thing. 1st time I was driving down the road and the alert/warning lights started flashing on and off (all of them). 2nd time I was driving down the road and the alert/warning lights flashed and the guages dropped all the way down and back up again. 3rd time I was driving and all that happened again and the engine cut off for a second. The engine light came on after that and stayed on. I drove directly to the dealership where they checked the code. They said it was related to the ignition switch as well. I have it scheduled to be replaced. The service manager said it he has replaced 4 for the same problem already. I believe this is related to other posts about Commanders stalling or shutting off while driving because I believe that is what mine was trying to do on that third time. There is an investigation going on by the NHTSA on that issue with a possiblility of a recall. Hopefully this will fix it for good.

UPDATE!!! Jeep has updated the ignition switch for the Commander. My commander is scheduled to get the ignition switch replaced with the updated one solve this problem.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. I am taking in the commander this week b/c now it will not stay running. It starts then dies three seconds later. None of the gauges are working at all. So it finally started yesterday after about 8 tries through out the day and stayed running long enough to pull it beside the house to sit. I should have had it into the dealer sooner but things don't always work out that way. Besides it was not setting any codes yet so now that it is maybe I can get this taken care of quickly. Thanks all.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Tlambert95 said:
Thanks all. I am taking in the commander this week b/c now it will not stay running. It starts then dies three seconds later. None of the gauges are working at all. So it finally started yesterday after about 8 tries through out the day and stayed running long enough to pull it beside the house to sit. I should have had it into the dealer sooner but things don't always work out that way. Besides it was not setting any codes yet so now that it is maybe I can get this taken care of quickly. Thanks all.
Sounds like a problem with the Sentry Key. Did you try your other key?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rubicontrail.net said:
Sounds like a problem with the Sentry Key. Did you try your other key?
Yeah my husband thought the same thing tried it and did same thing. We took it to the dealer they are telling me that the reason it was happening was a low battery. They said they replaced the battery and it fixed all its problems. To say the least I am a little skeptical of that. We will see. I pick it up tom.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same issue about 3 weeks ago. Drove home from work, everything was fine. Changed clothes, got back in the Commander, started it, no gauges, a/c, etc. Shut it off to check owners manual about fuses, thought maybe one had blown, turned it back on, everything worked fine, but the check engine light was on. Drove where I was going, sat for about 2 hours, check engine light was still on, got home and parked overnight. In the morning, started up and no check engine light. Took it to the dealer, they said it was the ignition switch that needed to be replaced. Took almost a week to get the part in, wrong part came, took the Commander on vacation, about 250 mile trip each way, got back this weekend, had an appointment today to have the ignition switch replaced. Only drove home, but haven't had any problems since the initial time. I asked the service rep if this was common, they said it was the first they had seen with this issue.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah my husband was thinking something with the switch too. So looked a the fuses and used dif. keys etc. We had it towed to the dealer b/c it would start but not stay running. They changed the battery which they said was low voltage and that it was what caused all my problems. It is running but it keeps wanting to die on me at stop lights. The dash gauges are working for now. I am giving it a matter of time though before it starts all over. They did not even take it for a drive afterwards is what is really bad. It had .5 miles on the trip odometer. I suspect that the check engine light was off when they finally got to it after 3 days of being there and the only thing they could find was the the low battery. So I don't know when the next time this is going to arise but I am pretty sure it will again. Just taking time for it to decide it wants to again. Time will tell.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Tlambert95 said:
Yeah my husband was thinking something with the switch too. So looked a the fuses and used dif. keys etc. We had it towed to the dealer b/c it would start but not stay running. They changed the battery which they said was low voltage and that it was what caused all my problems. It is running but it keeps wanting to die on me at stop lights. The dash gauges are working for now. I am giving it a matter of time though before it starts all over. They did not even take it for a drive afterwards is what is really bad. It had .5 miles on the trip odometer. I suspect that the check engine light was off when they finally got to it after 3 days of being there and the only thing they could find was the the low battery. So I don't know when the next time this is going to arise but I am pretty sure it will again. Just taking time for it to decide it wants to again. Time will tell.
They should still be able to pull the codes (stored) even if the check engine light is off, did they tell you what the codes were? They should have checked. If it is wanting to die at stop lights obvisouly something is wrong I would take it back and have the service manager drive it with you in the passanger seat so he can have first hand experience on what is going on.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
marka2k said:
They should still be able to pull the codes (stored) even if the check engine light is off, did they tell you what the codes were? They should have checked. If it is wanting to die at stop lights obvisouly something is wrong I would take it back and have the service manager drive it with you in the passanger seat so he can have first hand experience on what is going on.
I realize they should be able to pull the codes still off of it but they told me the only thing they found was a low voltage battery. I am going to take it back but for now it is sitting in the side yard. I don't have time to mess with it right now so it has to sit. I could drive it but quite frankly after all the stuff it has done I am afraid to it has not died on me completely yet but you never know. I live in Memphis, TN and drive through questionable areas to get to work the last thing I want is to get stranded there.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guess what it's back and the process is starting all over. As I was driving down the road the lights on the dash all lit up and back off. Off to the dealer again. how fun...

·
Registered
15 Posts
So yesterday I was driving down a nice smooth road, dry conditions, outside temperature was aprox 90 degrees in Central Texas and the time was 8:45 pm. So ALL the "Oh Snap" lights turned on and then off and then on again and then off again. The engine never died and didnt even hesitate after I slammed on my breaks as soon as the lights came on (i missed my turn when the lights came on) and then gunned it to pick up my speed again .... never died or felt like it wanted to stall. I pulled over in What-a-burger parking lot to let the Jeep take a moment. Turned it off and on after resting for about 20 min and continued on my way. I stopped at Autozone to check for any codes and none were found. So is there a TSB on this problem? FYI - Ive had the engine sputter a few times, but never stalled on me and I've also experianced the crazy up/down passenger window problem as well. I love Jeep, but this makes me so f'n mad!

'06 Commander
3.7L V6
30k miles
Red

·
Registered
43 Posts
My wife just had the same problem this morning. AC wouildn't work and the dash gauges flashed for a while. It started working fine afterward. It's got a code stored I think, because the check engine light is on. So if anyone has any insight, please share. My local dealer is not the best when it comes to service.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I still have not gotten mine fixed. It is still an on going problem for me. None of the dealers I have taken it to can get it to do it and they say they cannot find any codes. So until it does it to one of the techs while driving it I am driving it with this problem. I am having strange other problems too not sure if they relate. However it got so bad at one point with the jeep it would not stay running at all. It would start run 3 sec and die. I will still told no codes could not find the problem only a low volt battery ...since we tried all day to start it I just can't imagine why the battery would be low...so it seems everytime they reset the computer it solves the problem for a few weeks and then it up and starts doing it again. I just had it in last week at the a dif. dealer and still nothing. Which that was a whole dif. mess there. I was refused service on the jeep and had to go through chrysler to get the jeep looked at. I was glad I called chrysler they helped with that immensly. Anyhow I hope yall have luck getting this issue addressed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
FYI...

Last weekend I was driving my Commander from Houston to Louisiana. All of a sudden, my gauges and a/c shut off. I pulled into a rest area and when i applied my brakes, i heard a rubbing sound. (BTW, it happened to be heavily raining)

I checked the fuses and couldn't find anything wrong. When I started the car again, the engine light was on.

When I arrived back in Houston, I took it to an Auto Zone for them to plug in their DTC gadget and see what's up. It gave them a DTC code of U1411.

I've taken it to the dealership since then and am awaiting their call. Don't know if that DTC code will help, but I couldn't really find much about it online.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
voodoodrew said:
FYI...

Last weekend I was driving my Commander from Houston to Louisiana. All of a sudden, my gauges and a/c shut off. I pulled into a rest area and when i applied my brakes, i heard a rubbing sound. (BTW, it happened to be heavily raining)

I checked the fuses and couldn't find anything wrong. When I started the car again, the engine light was on.

When I arrived back in Houston, I took it to an Auto Zone for them to plug in their DTC gadget and see what's up. It gave them a DTC code of U1411.

I've taken it to the dealership since then and am awaiting their call. Don't know if that DTC code will help, but I couldn't really find much about it online.
A "U" code indicates an UNDEFINED error. A "1" as the first numeric digit indicates that it is a manufacturer specific error. A "4" as the second numeric digit indicates an emissions control issue.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
voodoodrew said:
FYI...

Mine does these issues raining, sunshine, driving down the road stopped at a stop light sitting in park or drive. No one thing seems to trigger it. Which is why the problem is hard to recreate. I have not gotten any codes so says my dealer. I did have a service engine light on though when it would not stay running but that is when they told me the only thing they could fine was the low battery. It started the problems sooner than usual after having it at the dealer last week...yesterday at a red light the dash gauges died and lights lit up and this time the engine sputtered a little. This time though I am going to get a hold of the local chrysler guy and see what he suggests. I will let you know what if anything gets discovered. Thanks for the info though I am keeping track of everything and printing all info out to keep in the jeeps record book. So I have reference of other commanders having this problem. If they can not fix this problem as well as my other issues a battle may begin. The jeep has been in 4 times now for the same problem as well as some other bizarre things. So we will see. Thanks all.

Tlambert

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Tlambert95 said:
If they can not fix this problem as well as my other issues a battle may begin. The jeep has been in 4 times now for the same problem as well as some other bizarre things. So we will see. Thanks all.

Tlambert
If you have an Autozone in your area, go there and ask for them for an OBD scan (no cost). They will tell you if indeed there are no codes in the system.

High end OBD II / CAN scanners like the one I have will pull all the codes and tell you a bunch of information about a running vehicle (spark advance, throttle position, voltages, etc.). This is what your dealer SHOULD be using on your vehicle but it sounds like you are getting a bit of a run around.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
rubicontrail.net said:
If you have an Autozone in your area, go there and ask for them for an OBD scan (no cost). They will tell you if indeed there are no codes in the system.

High end OBD II / CAN scanners like the one I have will pull all the codes and tell you a bunch of information about a running vehicle (spark advance, throttle position, voltages, etc.). This is what your dealer SHOULD be using on your vehicle but it sounds like you are getting a bit of a run around.

My husband bought a scanner so now we have one that works on the commander. It is one of the really nice ones like at autozone. So hopefully we can plug it in and find out for ourselves. Part of the reason we bought the scanner is because of the jeep. I find I am being given the run around with the dealers. I don't think either of them I have been to know what is going on. Thanks for the suggestion we are going to put the jeep on the scanner before we take it back to a dealer. Right now my husband has not had time with his huge project that has consumed our garage for months now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts