Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I thought that I would share a recent experience with you & invite comments....

I have owned my 06 Commander (3.7 4x4) for 2-years - during that time it has proved to be very reliable & very capable. I live in Egypt, so the car often runs in 40 degrees+ (no overheating issues ever!),and it has done some pretty hard core desert trips (although it does get stuck sometimes & bottoms out much too easily!). However I have had one really annoying intermitant fault, that I just couldn't get rid of. Dash board lights will on occasion flicker, with all the instruments resetting, etc. I know that this has been seen on quite a few other Commanders too. I've changed batteries (including terminal clamps), but all to no avail. Finally, I think that the penny has finally dropped. When I turn the ignition on and start the car, the ignition is (obviously) sprung loaded to return the key from "start" to the "on" position. However sometimes, it appears that the key doesn't quite return to the correct "on" position, and it remains very slightly still turned towards the "start" position. This seems (I really hope) to be the problem; I now ensure that the key has returned fully to the true "on" position - and so far the flashing lights have disappeared . It's only taken me 2-years to notice this, so I'm really really hoping this is the solution.
Obviously now I need to think about changing the ignition switch for a new one!

The only other problem I've had is with the ABS / traction control electricary system activating & "grabbing" when I'm in soft sand. It won't release until I brake hard, activating the ABS - the car then returns to normal mode. I've kind of assumed that dust is interfering with the wheel sensors - but I'd be interested in others' views! I've always managed to sort this problem by forcing the ABS to activate, but I have to confess that I'm worried I'll end up stranded out there one day....

Thanks - Peter :roller:

·
Administrator
16,152 Posts
Yes, it sounds like you need a new ignition switch.

·
Registered
571 Posts
In soft sand, I'd deactivate the traction control system. Do that by pressing the button and holding it in for about 10 secs, til it says T C OFF, it's in the manual.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.