Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
08 Dash removal

I can't find a good write up on the removal of the dash. I remember one that had a photo of the dash itself with the bolts you need to remove circled.

Thanks.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Originally posted by A49erFootballFan:

There are 16 bolts in the dash, you only need to remove the ones marked as an X

OX XO OX XO
XO XX XX OX

You will see how the four sections of bolts are when you look at the dash.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
saw that, thank you - does anyone have a DIY? how many sections (eg top/bottom) does it come apart in? do i have to remove the center trim piece, etc.

·
Administrator
15,217 Posts
The dash is all one piece. The 2008's may be a little different from the 06 and 07 since they extended that middle section where all the controls and head unit are.

·
Administrator
15,217 Posts
It is just the front.

·
Administrator
15,217 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
so it is all one assembly then - how hard to remove from the vehicle?

this is what the (07) FSM says...

Remove the 16 screws and using a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent, separate the trim bezel and remove.

Makes it sound like it is the front piece only. Is it difficult to get around the wheel to get it out?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
What is it you're trying to do? Just install a head unit or something? If so, all you have to do is remove that one piece, 3 min. job. It's just the dash bezel, not the dash. If you're wanting to remove the entire dash, I haven't heard of anyone else doing that.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RedCommander said:
What is it you're trying to do? Just install a head unit or something? If so, all you have to do is remove that one piece, 3 min. job.
yes - i am replacing the head unit. OK, so it is just the front part then. seemed like it was going to be the entire dashboard assembly.

thank you.

anyone have their MyGIG replaced? if so, did you have to get it starscanned for it to work?

·
Registered
487 Posts
08XKLimited said:
so it is all one assembly then - how hard to remove from the vehicle?

this is what the FSM says...

Remove the 16 screws and using a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent, separate the trim bezel and remove.

Makes it sound like it is the front piece only. Is it difficult to get around the wheel to get it out?

FSM hmmmm , where did you get that from :)

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
the 08 is completely different. there are only eight bolts total on the front dash fascia. the center part where the radio is must be removed to get to the head unit. this is the radio surround and it also incorporates the climate controls as well.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i will when i do it. may have the dealer do it if i can't find a diagram of an 08 to use. either way i will have photos to post.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
got it done. followed the video on coastaltech's site. easy install - took 10 minutes.

0. disconnect your (-) lead from the battery
1. unsnap the shifter bezel and place it out of the way - there are six clips (three on each side) and a key way on the front/top. pry this out with a trim tool.
2. put vehicle into D
3. remove the rubber pad from inside the little cargo cubby under the climate control console.
4. remove the phillips head screw that connects the lower portion of the climate/radio bezel to the dash.
5. use your trim tool to unfasten the bezel from the dash - there are six clips, three on each side.
6. pull the bezel forward a little and sit it on the shifter.
7. undo the four phillips head screws that hold the radio in.
8. pull the front of the radio toward you (it will take a little to get it started).
9. carefully remove the connectors from the back - they all have a lock on them that you will need to press in to remove.
10. connect the battery and test your installation.
11. install in reverse.

·
Administrator
15,217 Posts
Cool ! Now you don't have to take off the whole front of the dash.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
RedCommander said:
I don't think I've read of anyone else taking the mygig out. Everyone around here wants to put it in.
this is a warranty replacement. my original unit was defective.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
08XKLimited said:
anyone have their MyGIG replaced? if so, did you have to get it starscanned for it to work?
the replacement radio works just fine - nav, sat, sat tv. the only thing i had to do was calibrate the nav.

·
Administrator
15,217 Posts
08XKLimited said:
this is a warranty replacement. my original unit was defective.
Why didn't you have the dealer do it ?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts