Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys! ive installed hids on all lights fogs hi beams and low beams.i wired hi and low with seperate relay harnesses and fogs directly into oem connector.
question is why is the drl not working? my truck is canadian btw!
the drl are running tru the hi beams and it seems that even with the relay harness it doesnt reset the ballast .

any ideas on how to solve this issue?
thx!

·
Registered
696 Posts
so if hid hi beam works but drl hi beam does not maybe its not getting enough juice or is different switch or something that was not wired correctly with hids. Just guessing cause i dont have hids or drls. Drls are usually the hi beam at a lower intensity right? test this theory by having drls on at night without lights on and then pop your hi beams on. that is how my work vehicle is anyway. thats why im thinking maybe not enough power. i dont know how hi beam works at 2 different intensities like that.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well from what ive found i probably need some 50w 6ohm resistors or some caps between the 2 wires comming from the trucks harness.this should make them work but at full intensity cuz there is no way to dim a ballast . i had some bulb out warning module but i gave them to a freind that had problems with a bi xenon 9007 kit install so ill call him to see if i can try them on my truck or order some resistors

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
hey guys! ive installed hids on all lights fogs hi beams and low beams.i wired hi and low with seperate relay harnesses and fogs directly into oem connector.
question is why is the drl not working? my truck is canadian btw!
the drl are running tru the hi beams and it seems that even with the relay harness it doesnt reset the ballast .

any ideas on how to solve this issue?
thx!
drl work before you put the hid's in?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes it did! forgot to say that i used the big ballast kit not the slim version with seperate ignitor.i could try these i have a set on hand but i doubt it will do a difference.

kits come from ddmtuning been doing busyness with them for a while very good price.
i have a hi and low kits for my 01 hayabusa too and i luv them!

·
Registered
696 Posts
nice, lets see some pics with busa and commander next to each other with all the lights on then!!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dawm bro! its been snowing with a lot of winds down here so its kinda hard to put the 2 of them side by side but this w-end i have to take a look at my zenesis remote start and alarm its not starting im sure it not much but ill have the 2 very close so ill take 1 or 2 for ya!

i have 2 good ones fron when i did the hi only.youll see de difference!

ohh! and a last one from around july!(nevermind my old jimmy in the back :p)

in order: girlfriends,mine(of course!!) and dads!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
DRL get a lower voltage sent to them which is why your hi beams with a regular lamp lights up dim compared to full power at night. Your relay may not have enough voltage going to it to turn it on. Also, I recommend against using an HID as a high beam and definitely against as a DRL. In fact, there was a great article recently in the 4wd parts magazine (forget the name) about lighting and using HID's. I will see if i can find the article. Lighting article from 4 wheel parts. Some great info (not directly related to your problem but to using HID's as a relampGood luck

·
Registered
954 Posts
Your HIDs will not ignite for DRL. DRL uses a lower voltage, hence why the high beams on dimmer, and it is not sufficient to charge the ballast enough to ignite the HID bulbs. HIDs require greater than 12 volts just to ignite but once ignited require a steady source of electricity that might actually be lower than 12 volts, this is all done by the ballast.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i received my load resistors today so im gonna try them on this w-end and post some pics .heres the ones on my bike and notice the switchback turn signal! something i would love to do if clear corners were easy to find! snif snif!

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts