Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Adding A Daytime Running Light Module?

How hard would it be to add the daytime running light module (used in Canadian XKs) to a US XK? Is it plug and play?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Adding A Daytime Running Light Module?

rooney2oons said:
I hate DRL's. Why would you want DRL's?
Just turn your lights on.
I guess a matter of opinion. I like DRLs as they increase your visibility to other drivers (especially on gray days). Yes, I could just turn my lights on or I could get a DRL module which is what I was asking about.

·
Registered
67 Posts

Who invented seatbelts? Volvo

Who pressured the Swedish government into making DRLs mandatory? Volvo

Who fit DRLs on their cars for all markets? Volvo

Who arguably make the safest cars on the road? Volvo

Not a huge Volvo fan but they do have some good ideas and there was a significant increase in road safety in Sweden when they brought in the DRL

·
Registered
398 Posts

I agree, we had a chevy prior which had DRL's. Loved them because it was automatic and good to have driving in Mexico. If anyone finds the module, please holler out.

·
Registered
398 Posts

According to the NHSTA web site it is optional as an 07 feature. I'd be willing to bet there is a module for this.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

It is in the Canadian versions so I am just curious if this just plugs in to a US Commander without changing any wiring.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Just talked to my dealer and they seemed to think the wiring harness would be different. I really wish I had an official answer.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts

There's actually no seperate module for this. The daytime running lights are controlled by the front control module which pretty much controls all your options. You should be able to go to the dealer and get them to hook up the StarScan to upgrade your options to include DRL. It may only be able to be done at the factory, not sure.

·
Registered
39 Posts

YB Normyl is corret. I just had mine turned on via a laptop plugged into the dash. Took 30 seconds. I also had the option of choosing any combination of any of the lights to use as the running lights. Pretty cool. I chose the yellow blinkers only to be on.

·
Registered
251 Posts

YB Normyl - That's good info for those of us thinking about this option, now I have to decide what lights to have as running lights. Thanks

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

Wow, that's good to know. I guess I will have to remember that when I go for the first oil change... which will probably be a few months with the slow rate I am putting miles on it.

I wonder if there any other cool options you can turn on in there. Too bad I can't just go hook up my own laptop to it and look myself. :-(

·
Registered
84 Posts

Tell said:
YB Normyl is corret. I just had mine turned on via a laptop plugged into the dash. Took 30 seconds. I also had the option of choosing any combination of any of the lights to use as the running lights. Pretty cool. I chose the yellow blinkers only to be on.
I wonder if this is how I see so many Grand Prix's running with parking lights all the time. My DRL's are my headlights on my 2006 Grand Prix and none on the Commander. I would personally like to have the parking lights and possibly fogs running for my DRL's. Do you know if this is an option on most vehicles or not? Did it cost anything to have them do this for you?

·
Registered
137 Posts

Tell said:

Great news. Your dealer did this, correct? I can't wait to see the pleased look on my service writer's face when I tell him I want this done.

·
Registered
476 Posts

Tell said:
What dealership? Reason I am asking is I will request my DS turn this feature on - even if I have to pay for the service - and I want to be able to say "yes you can do that" if/when they try to say they cannot. :rolleyes:

BTW: May I ask if there was a charge for this?

·
Registered
39 Posts

I just got my Commander from AEV after having the superlift installed and as I stood there to pick it up, they not only turned on the running lights, but also when I put the vehicle in reverse, the side mirrors angle down to see the ground better. They also turned on the function that allows you to just tap the blinker once and it blinks 3 times for a lane change. I'm not sure if a dealer would charge for this or not. It's a 2006 Limited. It all took about 2 minutes. There's even a function (which I didn't get) that allows you to have the lights flash up front like an emergency vehicle's lights.

·
Registered
39 Posts

I was told a dealer could do all of this as well, but whether or not they know how and/or would do it is a question I cannot answer. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Tell said:
There's even a function (which I didn't get) that allows you to have the lights flash up front like an emergency vehicle's lights.
Interesting. I wonder how you turn them on and off once this is activated.

I definitely would like the mirror turn down in reverse and the daytime running lights. For 2007 we already have the three-blink lane change.

1 - 20 of 211 Posts