Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, now I'm sure that everyone else has noticed that their JC's have some orange peel. I would consider the orange peel on my midnight blue JC to be excessive. This is by far the worst paint job that I have ever had on a car. The Maaco paint job on my '84 VW Rabbit looks like a show car compared to my Commander's.

I contacted DC to see what could possibly be done about it. They told me to talk to my local dealer.

I have contacted my dealer here in the area and they told me that the orange peel is so severe that they would have to totally repaint the JC, which would be very labor intensive and the finish would not have the longevity of the factory finish. (but it wouldn't have orange peel) So the manager of the body shop told me that I could go ahead and do that or try to contact DC to raise my concerns about the finish of both my current paint and the finish of the paint if I were to get it repainted under warranty. The manager didn't really want to paint the Commander. He was really concerned about how the new paint would hold up.

So I tried to contact DC (again) and they told me to go see my local dealer.

Anybody have any suggestions? I know that since my Commander is "Trail Rated" that it should be rugged and such, but for a $40k car, it had better have a decent paint job.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was standing outside my JC yesterday smoking a cigarette and noticed Orange Peel. I don't remember it having it when I drove it off the lot.

Is this something that happens over time or something I just didn't notice before?

Dup

·
Registered
213 Posts
I've also noticed some pretty bad orange peel on my midnight blue JC lately....Mine was a dealer exchange - I acutally picked it up, drove it, and did the purchase in the evening after daytime test drives of others on the lot, so I didn't notice it right away. I didn't notice it on the light Kahki model I drove....maybe it's the blue??

·
Registered
77 Posts
I dont understand why the service manager is affraid about the paint not holding up if it gets repainted. Technically they should be using the same, factory approved, materials right?
Get them to re-paint it and make sure they give you a written warranty, along with the warranty approval from Chrysler regarding the paint. Once painted, make sure to keep it nice and waxed, and you should be in business :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He's affraid that there will be issues with premature fading and that the paint won't "stick" to the vehicle like the factory finish. It's still the factory paint though. I don't understand it. If you prep the Commander correctly, then there should be no problem.

I'm pretty anal about paint, so it's always waxed and shiny...needless to say, I can't stand orange peel. I don't understand why it is so bad on the JCs. Every one that I looked at on the dealer's lot had it, not as bad as mine, but they all had some. Jeep needs to get their act together on this one. The Dodge Ram truck that we use at our family farm has a better paint job and it's blue. Ridiculous if you ask me.

I think I'm just going to have the dealer paint it under warranty. I won't have a car for a while, but at least when I get it back it will look the way that I want it to.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I happened to be reading a Dodge Charger forum, and apparently there are a lot of them with pretty bad orange peel as well. One guy had his color-sanded and polished by a good body shop for $990 and ended up with a perfect mirror finish.
Bottom line - may not have to re-paint the car, especially since the problem could be in the clear coat.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Where is the "orange peel" paint job located on the Jeeps above? While I haven't put my nose next to every part of my Commander, I certainly haven't noticed it either.

·
Registered
401 Posts
You should have gotten Inferno Red! No orange peel here. Plus I think the red makes it go faster... :cool:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Take a dollar bill and put it against your paint so you can see a reflection.This is your peel. jeep is a trail rated vehicle so there needs to be peel to keep from getting scratched to hell. Different makes have different peel. The flater the paint the easier it scratches.You can scratch a black honda with just your finger print. Yes I said finger print. From best to worse jeep is at the bottom on paint finish flatness. orange peel. But jeeps paint holds up longer then any other manufacter. You can have your car wet sanded flat by a professional only and buffed out to a beautiful shine. This works great but the paint will be thinner and will scratch easy.
Look at a corvette hood $45k car and you can see the fiberglass mesh in the flat surface areas. I have repainted several corvettes brand new 50 miles or less because of this. My suggestion is live with it. Pay a professional detailer $250 to buff your jeep out and wax. done. Dont have your truck repainted unless dealer is willing to strip to sealer coat and totally remove every trim panel and weather strip. repaint to oem specs. not taping up every thing. This would require 80+ man hours just to take your jeep apart. This doesnt include the painting labor. $65-75 hr labor this can get expensive. Paint is only $25-28 hr labor =40 hrs to repaint your jeep inside and out. DC wont pay for a repaint unless atleast 50 other people with the same color complain. What do you think the chances of that are.Not happening.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.