Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drain Front/Rear Diffs and transfer case. Refill with synthetic oil. They quoted 269.00. They also stated if it's not done at factory spec intervals powertrain warranty is void.

So if I use the dealer it's 269 every 15k miles or goodbye warranty.

Is 269 a ripoff?

·
Registered
184 Posts
the mechanics at my dealership said you can do all the maintanence yourself, just be sure to keep the receipts to provide documentation of your purchases.. Is it really factory recommendations to change those every 15k?? that doesn't sound right at all!!

And Yes!! $269.00 is a complete ripoff. If you dont want to change it yourself take it to your local independent mech.. Cost should be half of that or lower

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Sounds like a good deal, I had the power train reworked on mine, they indicated to me that had I not done proper maintenance and showed proof it would have been on my Nickle! Oh, and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im looking at the schedule b maintennace intervals. Every 15k miles drain and fill the front and rear axles.

Wierd though. For schedule a there is no mention of draining the front and rear axles, but there is mention of draining the transfer case every 30,000 miles.

·
Registered
184 Posts
im looking at the schedule b maintennace intervals. Every 15k miles drain and fill the front and rear axles.

Wierd though. For schedule a there is no mention of draining the front and rear axles, but there is mention of draining the transfer case every 30,000 miles.
so it's 15k for diff. and 30k for transfer? Looks like i need to read my manual. What about transmission?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
The dealer can't force you to get any maintenance or repairs done by them alone ... (that's against the law) ...

As long as the work is done to industry standards and ... with fluids and parts that meet the factory specs the warentee is still good ... it's the law.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
If you have the QTII system then you will need to buy the transfer case fluid at the dealer no matter what. The other fluids you can get anywhere else but if you have the limited slips then you need to add a friction modifier to the fluids in the differentials. The t-case fluid should be about $12-$18 per quart bottle and you will need 2-3 if its the QTII. The QTI will use regular ATF+4 in the t-case and you will not need the friction modifier in the diffs. The $270 is a lot of money for an easy job that can be done in about 1-2hrs in your driveway

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Do the work yourself, I promise youll save a lot of money doing it that way. I run full synthetic mobil 1 gear oil in both front and rear diffs and mopar transfer case fluid. You are correct about 15k for the diffs and 30k for the transfer case.
Even if you are not familar with working on vehicles I have faith in the fact that you could do this service your self. It's easy!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts