Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had our rear shocks replaced and now the jeep bounces like a 70s Cadillac. We have a 2" RC lift and the old shocks where fine. The dealer says the shocks are being stretched and that is the reason for the bounce. They are using Mopar shocks #52090247.

Are these the right shocks?

·
Administrator
6,712 Posts
@Beeks;

I don't know that I agree with the Dealers diagnosis;

However, you might consider replacing your rear shocks with some version of the Bilstein 5100's;

Just make sure they are longer than the stock shocks, so that they allow the rear axle to travel when necessary.

If your rear shocks are the originals from the factory and haven't been replaced yet, you're definitely overdue to replace them with how many miles you have on your XK.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks of the reply. I'm resisting trying to pay for the shocks as they are under warranty (lifetime plan). One had been replaced about a year ago (again under warranty) and it was fine. Now it's bouncing all over the place with two new MOPAR shocks. Does the RC lift stretch them? That's what they are saying.

·
Administrator
6,712 Posts
@Beeks;

I donYou might consider replacing your rear shocks with some version of the Bilstein 5100's; Just make sure it is longer than the stock shock, so that they allow the rear axle to travel when necessary.
Thanks of the reply. I'm resisting trying to pay for the shocks as they are under warranty (lifetime plan). One had been replaced about a year ago (again under warranty) and it was fine. Now it's bouncing all over the place with two new MOPAR shocks. Does the RC lift stretch them? That's what they are saying.
The RC lift could potentially be maxing out the extension of those stock shocks, meaning that the rear axle is not being allowed it's full range of travel when hitting bumps or dips - the limiting factor being the length of the stock rear shocks.

I don't know if that would cause the bouncing you're describing though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I chatted with RC and they said the lift does not change the geometry of the suspension. Also the dealer said they would try another set of shocks on the back end. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Administrator
6,712 Posts
I chatted with RC and they said the lift does not change the geometry of the suspension. Also the dealer said they would try another set of shocks on the back end. I'll let you know how it goes.
Sounds like a plan, I'll be interested to hear which shocks you actually decide on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took it back to the dealer. They replaced the shocks with the same Chrysler parts and that seems to have fixed the issue. Turns out both shocks were bad. :unsure:

·
Administrator
6,712 Posts
Big Blue said:
If your rear shocks are the originals from the factory and haven't been replaced yet, you're definitely overdue to replace them with how many miles you have on your XK.
Took it back to the dealer. They replaced the shocks with the same Chrysler parts and that seems to have fixed the issue. Turns out both shocks were bad. :unsure:
Seems like I heard that somewhere before....;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts