Jeep Commander Forum banner

dealer says flush transmission at 60,000

12K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Mongo 
#1 ·
my 2006 XK has 60000 miles..I requested a trans filter and oil change quote at 3 dealers and they all said to flush at 60000 miles and do the fluid and filter change at 100,000 miles. I have read on this forum to shy away from dealer flush as it stirs up a lot of possible junk in the system...What does the dealer flush with,,service bullitens say not to use a chemical flush....Any insite is appreciated...i am confusded about this....any reccomendations/thanks RKL

#2 ·
The dealers you are speaking with are using a fluid flushing machine.
Per Chrysler, this process is to be used to flush out the trans cooler after a trans failure.
The trans (no trans for that matter) is ever to be flushed......there is no benifit, especially if the filters wont be changed.
The company that supplies the majority of the flushing equipment is called 'BG'
They have done a magnificent job of getting dealers to believe their equipment is "The Answer" Trouble is, no one asked the question.

Regardless, I would stop by a general service shop or a trans shop.....either would be happy to perform the service as the factory recommends.

Transmission shops in particular stay away from flushing equipment.....they have enouph to do without causing trans failures.

As far as when to service, your owners manual is quite clear.....every 30k if frequent trailer towing.......I think 100k with no towing.
I personnally subscribe to a modification of the schedule......every 50k.
I rarely tow, but still want to change the filters.....so....

Once again though, avoid any flushing process......just drain, replace filters, re-assemble and refill......this is not rocket science......I am disappointed that your dealer(s) won't follow your request and the factory recommendation.

Rob

#4 · (Edited)
Here are some of the responses to the question about flushes :icon_confused::icon_confused:

A good trans flush machine uses the trans pump to cycle new fluid in and the old out,no way to over pressure the system.Those horror stories you hear about trans flushes then the trans goes to s**t is from problems with the trans already and was going to die eitherway.

Just make sure they don't use any chemical cleaners and they use ATF+4 and your good.The important part is the use of ATF+4 only,not DEXIII with a additive.
That TSB put out was ment for non-dealerships due to many trans failures from the wrong fluids besing used and why many newer Chrysler vehicles do not have a trans dipstick anymore.

Oh and skip the trans pan gasket,it will only leak afterwards.The dealership has RTV that is made for trans pans and works very well,about $8 for a tube.The 45RFE/545RFE also uses 2 filters,make sure to get the updated return line filter(looks like a regular oil filter).And yes the filters should be changed,but not as often as you think.I do a trans flush every 15k,and the filters get changed every 30k,all dealer done for the warranty,and yes I'm very hard on my Jeep so doing 15k flushes is needed.
Depending on your mileage.

If you do it frequent enough (say 50K) no problem and go for it. Sometimes on older Transmissions, the seals can't hold the pressure that the machine they hook the trans up to produces. You could end up replacing seals after it's all said and done.

A simple drain, new filter (I don't even know if we have one or if it's a sealed unit) and fill it.
A buddy who owns a repair shop spent a half hour trying to convince me to do a flush. He feels a drain and fill is useless because it doesn't replace all the fluid. Also, he said the filter rarely needs to be changed. I'm still hesitant. But he should know I guess.

#5 ·
Well Sal,
Regardless of the responses and opinions, the final word is Chrysler.
And tjkj2002 has expressed his opinion regarding why the TSB was created but.......still, I do not see anything from Chrysler that says anything along the lines of "We only said this because someone may use the wrong fluid during the process"

Bottom line, Chrysler says don't do this, a pan drop and filter replacement and fluid refill will be satisfactory.
The partial fluid replacement will satisfy the needed service and maintain protection.

IMO....If the fluid has been burned due to slippage and overheating, there is already damage.
No amount of flushing will undo clutch damage due to slippage......it already is done for, stick a fork in it, it's done......just a matter of time before it won't move.

We are changing fluid as a maintenance proceedure, so a partial fluid change on a healthy trans to maintain its health is all the manufacturer recommends.
A large number of these vehicles are running with a lifetime powertrain warranty and I suspect Chrysler would call for enhanced maintenance just to cover themselves if it could be proven that, that enhancement was effective.
It has not, so there is no flushing recommendation.

What I find utterly fascinating is folks saying it is OK to flush because you are changing all the fluid, yet then say it is OK to not change the filters at that time.......this, after the proceedure has stirred up any debris and now forced it through the filters?????

Oh well, like I said, my opinion......I'll leave the four and a half decades of wrenching out of the discussion.

Rob

#7 ·
my 2006 XK has 60000 miles..I requested a trans filter and oil change quote at 3 dealers and they all said to flush at 60000 miles and do the fluid and filter change at 100,000 miles.
Show your Owners Manual to that Dealer, ask them why they and Chrysler disagree? Take a look at the TSB about flushing, the Engineers that designed the vehicle are telling the dealerships to stop doing this.

Yes, just changing the fluid and filter in the pan only changes half the fluid. The change interval was chosen with that in mind, changing half of it keeps enough fresh fluid in the trans to keep it working well.

No one has designed their transmissions to be flushed, they have come up with all sorts of way to do it anyway, some work well, others do NOT, you just don't know how that flushing and the way they do the flushing will work with your trans.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.