Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
Dallas TX
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As i noted in the WDYDTYCT? thread, i had a thermostat lock shut and my commander overheated pretty hard. (was driving on highway when CEL and temp were pegged).. Now I get misfires on cyl #2 and the coolant is bubbling consistently. I am going to do a compression check to see what's really going on. Thinking at a minimum its a head gasket and more likely dropped a valve seat or warped a head. Anyone do a recent rebuild have any thoughts on a budget? i'd probably do reman'd heads since i am sitting at 214k miles.. and if I am doing all that i figure i should go ahead and pullthe lump all the way out and do bearings and piston rings to freshen everything up... and if i pull the motor why not have the trans freshened up... this is getting expensive in my mind... anyone have any idea how often the block is damaged in overheating events like this?

·
Registered
2006 4.7L
262 Posts
As i noted in the WDYDTYCT? thread, i had a thermostat lock shut and my commander overheated pretty hard. (was driving on highway when CEL and temp were pegged).. Now I get misfires on cyl #2 and the coolant is bubbling consistently. I am going to do a compression check to see what's really going on. Thinking at a minimum its a head gasket and more likely dropped a valve seat or warped a head. Anyone do a recent rebuild have any thoughts on a budget? i'd probably do reman'd heads since i am sitting at 214k miles.. and if I am doing all that i figure i should go ahead and pullthe lump all the way out and do bearings and piston rings to freshen everything up... and if i pull the motor why not have the trans freshened up... this is getting expensive in my mind... anyone have any idea how often the block is damaged in overheating events like this?
Overheating is the number one killer IMHO
As for pulling out the whole engine, I'd guess wait to get the heads off and see if piston or cylinder damage first.
Personally, I'd pull the whole thing and drop a crate or reman in.
But that is my OCD kicking in.
As for the trans, been getting any debris in the pan?

·
Premium Member
Dallas TX
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No debris, just getting a hesitation at the first shift into drive of the day... takes a four count to start moving...

Think you are right, first step is comp check, then start pulling things. sigh.. was hoping i was done in there for a bit...

·
Premium Member
Dallas TX
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
looking into crate and reman - there is not much out there. I feel pretty good on my abilities, just really do not want to... but since i replaced pretty much everything when i did the timing chains a few months back, its all pretty fresh.

·
Registered
2006 4.7L
262 Posts
No debris, just getting a hesitation at the first shift into drive of the day... takes a four count to start moving...

Think you are right, first step is comp check, then start pulling things. sigh.. was hoping i was done in there for a bit...
It's the Can of Worms Law
Once you open that can of worms, you'll need a bigger can to handle them.
And a more expensive one..

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
2,219 Posts
Buy a "Bore Scope" and take a peek inside. They aren't very expensive.
The 5.7 engines are a lot more likely to drop valve seats.
Nothing wrong with my 5.7 but would love to drop performance engine in mine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts