Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting some 255/70/17's soon and I have the hitch...

Does anyone know if it would do any damage to a spare to deflate it slightly to tuck it in the spare location and carry a portable compressor to fill it up when needed?

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I dont think you could get that size tire in the space even if it were deflated, but if you can, there shouldn't be a problem.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Your TPMS won't be happy.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I'm almost positive that GetLost4x4 puts his deflated spare tire (255/75R17) under there so I dont see why your tire, being a smaller size wouldnt fit.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Your TPMS won't be happy.

You know, guys, I've seen this come up many times before, but I don't understand. I never saw any light on the dash that would indicate inflation for the spare. Moreover, the receivers in the wheel wells only pick up the signal from the sensors when the wheels are spinning.

I don't believe the TPMS system reads the pressure of the spare tire at all while it's under the truck.

Sorry for the hijacking... :rocket:

·
Registered
527 Posts
You know, guys, I've seen this come up many times before, but I don't understand. I never saw any light on the dash that would indicate inflation for the spare. Moreover, the receivers in the wheel wells only pick up the signal from the sensors when the wheels are spinning.

I don't believe the TPMS system reads the pressure of the spare tire at all while it's under the truck.

The TPMS does monitor the spare, several members have had to add air to it to get it to go off! (well going back to the 06-07 models at least) Where did you get the idea that it only sends signal when spinning?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts

I believe that you are wrong. Dont quote me on this though but im almost positive that the spare tire sensors will make the light on the dash turn on if its low on air.

EDIT: Bulldog got to it before me.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I have noticed that there are two different styles of TPMS on the commanders. One system measures the pressure of each tires and you can view the levels on the "information center". The other system (like I have) is more primitive. All the sensors send out a signal that says either "OK" or "NOT OK". I think it is mostly the Limited editions that have the advanced TPMS so they may not have a signal giving the spare pressure. The primitive system cannot tell the difference between the left front and right rear when the pressure is low all it knows is that one of the 5 is low.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION

The Tire Pressure Monitor System is a safety and convenience feature that was introduced at the start of the 2002 model year. Each of the vehicle's wheels have a valve stem with a pressure sensor and radio transmitter built in.

Signals from the tire pressure sensors are received and interpreted by the EVIC. A sensor in a mounted wheel will broadcast its detected pressure once per minute when the vehicle is moving faster than 25 mph.

The spare tire sensor (if equipped) will broadcast once every hour. Each sensor's broadcast is uniquely coded so that the EVIC can determine location.

The system is capable of displaying actual tire pressure levels for all four tires and the spare, is accurate to within +/- 1 PSI under all conditions, Each tire transmitter is battery powered. The battery life is projected to last 7-10 years under normal operating conditions

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
I have the Limited 06 and my TPMS gives me specific tire pressure on each of the four active tires, but it DOES tell me (from first hand experience) when my spare is low - in fact, it says "Spare Low Pressure." Been there, done that.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I have the Limited 06 and my TPMS gives me specific tire pressure on each of the four active tires, but it DOES tell me (from first hand experience) when my spare is low - in fact, it says "Spare Low Pressure." Been there, done that.
OK then cancel my theory on that one. As I said I have the simple system so I was just going on what I heard about the Limited's TPMS.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
OK then cancel my theory on that one. As I said I have the simple system so I was just going on what I heard about the Limited's TPMS.
That's why we're all here - to learn from the mistakes/experience of others. =)

·
Registered
576 Posts
I should probably remove my spare and check it's condition, I have never had to use it, nor did the previous owner I believe. It would be nice to see the condition of the full size chrome rim I have under there, I am sure it could do with a clean...

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
I always have my dealership check when I got to get the services done.

·
Super Moderator
15,094 Posts
It WILL read the tire pressures with the vehicle not moving. When I put air in my tires I use the monitor to get the same pressure in each tire. This is on a Limited.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
It WILL read the tire pressures with the vehicle not moving. When I put air in my tires I use the monitor to get the same pressure in each tire. This is on a Limited.
x2 on 2007 Limited.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I stand corrected. :bowdown:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts