Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I originally posted this in the new member section.

My wife has a '08 Commander Limited 4X4 & this truck has had several really weird issues in the past couple of months. The last one was when she went to leave for work the other day, it wouldn't start. The only thing that was lit up on the dash was the odometer & the 'door open' diagram. No ding ding, nuthin. No other lights lit up on the dash. Also, no radio, no power windows, no electric mirror control. BUT the seat still worked & the interior & headlights worked. So I got into this thing later that morning and checked every fuse possible - all 3 banks of fuses all OK. Wiggled all the relays, connectors, everything I could get my mitts on - same. So for S & G's today I went out to try it again and BINGO - everything works and it started right up. NO check engine light, no codes at all. This is driving me nuts. Has anyone encountered this problem and if so, what was the ultimate fix?

thanks in advance.
Jon

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi all,

My wife has a '08 Commander Limited 4X4 & this truck has had several really weird issues in the past couple of months. The last one was when she went to leave for work the other day, it wouldn't start. The only thing that was lit up on the dash was the odometer & the 'door open' diagram. No ding ding, nuthin. No other lights lit up on the dash. Also, no radio, no power windows, no electric mirror control. BUT the seat still worked & the interior & headlights worked. So I got into this thing later that morning and checked every fuse possible - all 3 banks of fuses all OK. Wiggled all the relays, connectors, everything I could get my mitts on - same. So for S & G's today I went out to try it again and BINGO - everything works and it started right up. NO check engine light, no codes at all. This is driving me nuts. Has anyone encountered this problem and if so, what was the ultimate fix?

thanks in advance.
Jon
Mine had the same problem and it was traced to static build up causing a glitch in the ECM. The fix was replacing the ECM after many tows and even making new keys.

·
Super Moderator
5,766 Posts
Hi all,

thanks in advance.
Jon
Legofan said:
Mine had the same problem and it was traced to static build up causing a glitch in the ECM. The fix was replacing the ECM after many tows and even making new keys.
Jon, I deleted your thread in the new member section, please refrain from posting the same thread in more than one sub-forum, once is plenty, someone will eventually answer you.

I think @Legofan gave you the answer to your problem.

That aside, welcome to the forum @wb8yjf.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info! I'm looking into that today. My wife took the truck to work today, hopefully I won;t be getting a call later (fingers crossed).

·
Registered
359 Posts
Honestly, it seems the commander has the potential to have some crazy hardcore electrical Gremlins that happen only once or twice ever, then they never happen again in MOST cases. I had all internal accessory electrical go out while driving one time. No seat control, AC or blower, lights or turn signals, etc. Turned it off and back on. Never happened again. This was 3 years ago.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ordered a rebuilt ecm - should be here tomorrow. $199 - free shipping. I hope this thing fixes the weirdness the Commander has been having at random times. A few months ago it would start, but every idiot light was lit up on the dash & I had to use a small screwdriver in the slot by the shifter to get it into gear. It spit out 11 or 12 codes, all of which made no sense. A day or so later after clearing the codes (some of them came back right away), the lights went off and the computer didn't throw any more codes. I own my own business and service electronics, but I have no way to check the ecm out unless it was an obvious fail, and even then no way to flash the thing.

I'll let everyone know how this goes.

Again, thanks for all the replies.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I replaced the ECM on Friday and the truck seems to be doing fine. I guess time will tell, but I'm pretty convinced the ECM was causing my 'demon's at any time it wanted to.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I replaced the ECM on Friday and the truck seems to be doing fine. I guess time will tell, but I'm pretty convinced the ECM was causing my 'demon's at any time it wanted to.
Good news, keep us posted.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,766 Posts
That's good news.

Do you happen to have a link to where you ordered your ECM from - in case anybody else needs one?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, hold the phone! Last Friday my went to get her nails done, came out and the door lock didn't work. She used the 'emergency' key in the fob to get in and try to start it. No go. Only things that worked were the door locks (inside button), odometer, courtesy lights, and the display that show what door is open. Left it there overnight, came back the next morning and same thing. We decided to have it towed to the dealership the next day, but just for chits & giggles, she tried the remote lock - it worked. Started right up, ran fine, zero codes, and it's been running ever since.

I'm at a loss. This is a pretty serious problem as this is the vehicle we drive to go on vacation in NC (I'm in Ohio) and we also take a ferry to get to our destination. Having a vehicle not start when you're on a ferry would be a BIG issue.

Does anyone have a suggestion? This thing is driving me nuts. This year, my '76 Ford F-100 has been more reliable than this Jeep!

·
Super Moderator
5,766 Posts
Well, hold the phone! Last Friday my went to get her nails done, came out and the door lock didn't work. She used the 'emergency' key in the fob to get in and try to start it. No go. Only things that worked were the door locks (inside button), odometer, courtesy lights, and the display that show what door is open. Left it there overnight, came back the next morning and same thing. We decided to have it towed to the dealership the next day, but just for chits & giggles, she tried the remote lock - it worked. Started right up, ran fine, zero codes, and it's been running ever since.

I'm at a loss. This is a pretty serious problem as this is the vehicle we drive to go on vacation in NC (I'm in Ohio) and we also take a ferry to get to our destination. Having a vehicle not start when you're on a ferry would be a BIG issue.

Does anyone have a suggestion? This thing is driving me nuts. This year, my '76 Ford F-100 has been more reliable than this Jeep!
My only suggestion would be taking it to a reputable dealership and spend the $120.00 to have them run a full diagnostics test and see if they can pull any stored DTC's that you aren't seeing that indicate where the problem lies.

I find it really hard to believe that there aren't any codes stored in your ECU if you're having that many problems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts