Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a Commander recently and was curious if anyone around Denver would like to get out and run some trails. Right now the Commnder is stock but still would like to see some beginner runs with some folks around here. I've never owned a 4x4 before and would like to get into offraoding but don't know anyone to get out with around here.

I live in Castle Rock by the way.

Otherwise if anyone knows can you recommend some sites to search for trails or know of anything around the Denver area.

Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I hope you find some soon, but put This one on your calendar

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Where in CR are you? I'm down by Red Hawk. There are some decent trails and different ways to get to Rampart Range Road from Hwy. 105, Perry Park Road, that are good as starter trails if you're new to 4-wheeling.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You live by Red Hawk huh? I live in the new townhomes they put up behind Target about 2 years ago... I've probably seen you driving around.

I got onto Rampart yesterday from the Springs side as it is closed off 67. Where is Perry Park and Schubarth?

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Lmulderi, check out the member map on the home page and you may find others who live near you. Make you you sign up while your there.

·
Registered
69 Posts
When you get on Rampart(paved) keep going until u see Loy Creek road get on it and when you get to a 4 way keep going straight, you'll see some houses and signs that kinda scare people off because the say "private property," it just means the LAND is, NOT the road. The road starts easy as you go thru USAF Academy land but turns moderate(easy) because it becomes narrow. There is one spot that a Hummer(or other full size) can't make, it's large boulders that you have to squeeze thru, I made it, barely..LOL. There is also one spot that you have to drive up a boulder that leds to an awsome camp spot which is Basically ON a boulder. Just explore and have FUN!...

·
Registered
88 Posts
I was looking at going up the rampart at some point and is it safe to venture on the side roads such as schuebarth in the winter? I know the the rampart road is fine but is there too much snow on the 300's side roads this time of year?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Not sure about Rampart - I know the side roads off of Gold Camp, and Gold Camp itself get a lot of snow...we need to get a run put together sometime.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I was up there today, not a whole lotta snow. Went all the way to the Devils tower gate (closed) which is unusual for this time of year. Did Schubarth also, no problem, was fun. When I was leaving I saw a herd of elk, had to be 50-75 of them, have pics will post Sun when I get to MY computer.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I went up as well and Schubarth was all good. Lots of snow but still fun. However we got a little turned around and got onto forest road 315 and it was hell. The road was packed in snow, about as wide as a parking spot at best, and was straight down the mountain on the side.

We didn't expect this at all and definitely will NOT be driving 315 again. I recommend staying as far away as possible from that road until summer.

I should have a taken some pics but we saw an Expedition that had fallen off the road and was only being supported by some aspen trees keeping it from rolling down the mountain. In hindsight I would have loved some pics but I was too busy crapping my pants and figuring out how to get around the Exped...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Great pics, where is 315? We had little time today before the game but were able to hit up 307 unitl the Y and then took 311. We didn't go to far on 311 but when we did turn around I almost had to put it in 4 low to get the jeep up a snow covered hill. Btw nice color choice.

·
Registered
69 Posts
:ugh2:I'm not sure which road is 315, 307 is the main road and then it branches off all over the place, I can keep track if I use my Colorado 4x4 book but other than that I just drive....as long as I know East and West i'll get out, LOL. The pics with the Commander were taken on side roads off of Rampart Range road goin' North towards Denver (Douglas County), it was fun....

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
315 is a 'shortcut' to connect Rampart to Mount herman Road if your driving from the South.

It basically turned into nothing but tight, snowcovered switchbacks and ledges going straight down a mountain.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think I was on that road a couple years ago. I was with my father and we got stuck, he started collecting fire wood because he said we were doomed...The ole' Commander got out, now he calls the road the "Road to Hell!"....LOL

·
Registered
391 Posts
NIce pics and XK organized! Tnx for sharing!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts