Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Back in December I purchased a new 2007 Commander Limited (MSRP $42k). I've been very happy with the vehicle, but 6 months and 5k miles later, my Jeep is now worth about 12k for a trade, and maybe 15k if I sell to 3rd party, less than a 1/3 of its original value - understand that I almost fell through the floor when I learned this.

So, not trying to scare anyone, but if you're considering buying a Commander in today's environment, you better take this into consideration.

·
Registered
192 Posts
WHY would you even consider selling or trading after 6 months. You lost the majority of the value in the 1st 5 minutes after you left the dealership.

Vehicle prices have tanked lately, if you hadn't noticed. Especially large displacement vehicles like the Hemi.

An Audi A4? Not even the slightest semblance of closeness to the Commander! Totally different! Why did you buy the Commander?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Strange that my 06 XK Ltd Hemi is worth a lot more than yours. I guess that it depends on where you are. I am going by NADA and KBB.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Here is the KBB on my 2006 which I paid $30,000 for. It is right where I would expect it to be

Excellent
$23,865

Good
$22,600

Fair
$20,860

·
Registered
208 Posts
LBCBJ said:
...my Jeep is now worth about 12k for a trade, and maybe 15k if I sell to 3rd party, less than a 1/3 of its original value...
Thanks for the heads-up, but I really didn't buy mine for the trade-in value. Sorry you've had such a rude awakening.

:confused:

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
My trade in value is priceless because I have no plan to trade at any point.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
PolarBZ said:
My trade in value is priceless because I have no plan to trade at any point.
Agreed, I didn't buy mine to trade, but to use and keep for a long time.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Mine is paid for an will always be worth more to me for what I use it for than to someone else. To me this sounds like "buyers remorse".

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
Not trading mine. My 6yr old son has his eye on it so it will be his in 10 yrs to play with. May have to convert it from HEMI to hydro in 10 yrs though... :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes, I was surprised to find that the resell/trade-in was so low. Glad that I'm not planning on trading it in... I paid $36,000 after tax, etc for it... 26,600 Miles... Here's what KBB.com had to say...

Trade-in:

Excellent - $13,925

Good - $13,075

Fair - $11,565

Private Party Sale:

Excellent - $17,100

Good - $16,100

Fair - $14,800

Suggested Retail Value:

Excellent - $20,465

Again, not looking to sell mine but in light of the conversation thought I'd compare with what others are getting.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
+1. I bought mine in Feb 2007 and paid $26k for mine, the dealer knocked $10k off the price without blinking, only had to negotiate on the trade.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
There is no way that the trade in value for a 2007 Limited is only 12K. Im not sure where you are getting your numbers from but if a dealer gave you that quote then you need to go to another dealer. My Commander MSRP was 33K and the KBB for trade in was close to 20K. I have never been to a dealer that gives any less then KBB. I have always made sure they gave me KBB for excelent condition or else i wouldnt buy from them.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
This guy is unhappy with his commander and or jeep. He is trying to scare people away from buying a commander.

He posted in the wrong place because most of the people here may have trouble...but still like the jeep

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Maybe we should edit to title to "I am not happy with my decision" or "boy did I pay too much" :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
First of all. I'll buy the OP's Jeep for $2000 more than the trade he is claiming... right now... via paypal. I don't buy it for a minute that it's that low.

Lastly... if this scares you a lot, lease.
The 3 year residual on a $42K car is about $17,500 or so. Lease, and you're protected against a GIANT down turn in value.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I had a dealer tell me they would be broke right now if they used Kelly for values. They are going by current auction prices and for Commanders and large SUV's the values are the worst they have ever been. This guys claim sounds low but I have heard of some dealers not even accepting SUV trades. I was offered 13K for mine and it has a Kelly book value of 17K. If they are not selling why would the dealer want them? For those who want to pay off and keep their Commander you are in good shape. For others that need to change cars you are screwed right now and should wait if possible until things settle down. I think people are in a panic mode and too many are trying to dump their gas guzzlers at once. Anyone want to buy an 06 with all kinds of goodies?

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
cico7 said:
This guy is unhappy with his commander and or jeep. He is trying to scare people away from buying a commander.

He posted in the wrong place because most of the people here may have trouble...but still like the jeep
Did you read his post? He actually said that he's very happy with his vehicle and that he's NOT trying to scare anyone...

Back in December I purchased a new 2007 Commander Limited (MSRP $42k). I've been very happy with the vehicle, but 6 months and 5k miles later, my Jeep is now worth about 12k for a trade, and maybe 15k if I sell to 3rd party, less than a 1/3 of its original value - understand that I almost fell through the floor when I learned this.

So, not trying to scare anyone, but if you're considering buying a Commander in today's environment, you better take this into consideration.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts