Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any plug and play systems that will replace my current system?
I am ok if the NAV is a linked function to a smart phone as long as it maps on screen or is an embedded NAV.
I would like to use the Uconnect microphone and speakers but would prefer a better voice command system that does not require individual programming to Uconnect (it’s better if the voice command uses the phone contacts list). I also want the rear view camera and park assist to function as well as the steering wheel controls.
I want the rear seat DVD player to function but do not need a dvd function in the front.
Is this to big of a wish list? Brands and model numbers you have had success with would be greatly appreciated!
2007 Limited, 5.7 Hemi 4x4
This is what my factory build list is:
6CD/Full Map GPS Display Nav Radio (REC)
Steering Wheel Mounted Audio Ctrls
Uconnect Voice Command w/Bluetooth
Rear Seat Video System
ParkView Rear Back-up Camera
Rear Overhead Console
276 Watt Amplifier
6 Boston Acoustics Speakers
Radio/Driver Seat/Mirrors Memory
Electronic Infotainment Sys Group
Navigation/Rear Back-Up Camera Group

·
Super Moderator
5,759 Posts
There are plenty of aftermarket head units you can put in - but all will require an aftermarket adapter harness to hook-up to the factory wiring harness - and your aftermarket head unit will also need an additional adapter to hook-up to the factory back-up camera.

So, there are no "plug & play" units for XK's per say.

I went with a Pioneer AVH-X490BS CD/DVD RDS AV head unit and added a Sirius XM Receiver to it.

I paid a little over $700.00 installed, my unit has Spotify & Pandora although I didn't bother to have those apps enabled - this unit does have those apps installed and available if you want them. However I don't know if it is "NAV" capable or not, because I have always had a Garmin GPS mounted on my dash. It is Bluetooth capable which is great - my factory 2008 REC "MyGIG" unit did not come with U-connect from the factory, so, I really appreciated the Bluetooth capability of the new unit.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
I am ok if the NAV is a linked function to a smart phone as long as it maps on screen or is an embedded NAV.
I would like to use the Uconnect microphone and speakers but would prefer a better voice command system that does not require individual programming to Uconnect (it’s better if the voice command uses the phone contacts list). I also want the rear view camera and park assist to function as well as the steering wheel controls.
I want the rear seat DVD player to function but do not need a dvd function in the front.
Is this to big of a wish list? Brands and model numbers you have had success with would be greatly appreciated!
Rear Seat Video System
Rear Overhead Console
276 Watt Amplifier
I had a Kenwood DDX-9902s with the iDatalink Maestro until a month ago when I installed a XTrons 10.1" Android unit. Love it so far although it does take a little more tinkering to get setup the way you want. Initially I bypassed the factory AMP, and accepted no steering wheel controls, and dimming with the headlights because I couldn't find a canbus adapter for the unit like my Kenwood had with the Maestro unit. However, since then I reached out to XTrons and over the course of a couple weeks I was able to get a canbus adapter ordered from XTrons that would have made the whole installation practically plug-n-play. I am not sure about the backup camera since mine didn't have it to start but I can add an after market one for really cheap if I want to. I am going to take pictures of the setup when my adapter arrives and I install it.

XTrons 10.1" unit on amazon
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0799HX8CT

Power cable and canbus adapter PB68WRJ $65 (have to order via XTrons)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would like to use the Uconnect microphone and speakers but would prefer a better voice command system that does not require individual programming to Uconnect (it’️s better if the voice command uses the phone contacts list). I also want the rear view camera and park assist to function as well as the steering wheel controls.
Rear Seat Video System
Rear Overhead Console
276 Watt Amplifier
I had a Kenwood DDX-9902s with the iDatalink Maestro until a month ago when I installed a XTrons 10.1" Android unit. Love it so far although it does take a little more tinkering to get setup the way you want. Initially I bypassed the factory AMP, and accepted no steering wheel controls, and dimming with the headlights because I couldn't find a canbus adapter for the unit like my Kenwood had with the Maestro unit. However, since then I reached out to XTrons and over the course of a couple weeks I was able to get a canbus adapter ordered from XTrons that would have made the whole installation practically plug-n-play. I am not sure about the backup camera since mine didn't have it to start but I can add an after market one for really cheap if I want to. I am going to take pictures of the setup when my adapter arrives and I install it.

XTrons 10.1" unit on amazon
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0799HX8CT

Power cable and canbus adapter PB68WRJ $65 (have to order via XTrons)
Any updates on functionality of the canbus adapter? I see you’re in Charlotte. I happen to be here this week. Would love to check out functionality of the system if you’re available.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Okay this just might be a superstupid question but here we go.

If I were to get out my tester and make a one to one connection, verified between the plug at the head unit and the backup camera, for instance... is there any good reason that the backup camera would not work? And yes, I know the backup camera is powered by the rear light cable that comes on when you put the gear in reverse.

And the main reason I am even asking this question is because I have an allergic reaction to the word "canbus," I know firsthand how it causes all kinds of headaches with LED lights for instance. People talk about it as if it is the scourge of any modification whatsoever to a Jeep. (Steering wheel controls seems to be a common issue that people mention problems with.) What I'm having trouble understanding is how, if I actually manage to make a one to one connection with a wiring diagram and a tester, why something like this won't work? I'm curious because I thought of changing out my head unit with an Xtron or similar, I can't think of any good reason that the factory backup camera would not work if that same connection is made with it. Ditto for the overhead TV monitor, or for the AV jack in the back of the center console. I have a hard time understanding how canbus even enters into this as ultimately it has to make a connection, but everyone tells me if I change out: the head unit, the overhead TV monitor, the backup camera, I'll have problems or stuff won't work... all because of canbus. Really? I mean I suppose I could always run entirely new wires to this stuff if I really needed to, but I'm having trouble wrapping my head around why I would actually need to do this when these working connections are there in a loaded Limited Edition Jeep Commander already. Canbus can't be processing this stuff in any way to prevent replacements like this? Can it?

·
Super Moderator
5,759 Posts
Okay this just might be a superstupid question but here we go.

If I were to get out my tester and make a one to one connection, verified between the plug at the head unit and the backup camera, for instance... is there any good reason that the backup camera would not work? And yes, I know the backup camera is powered by the rear light cable that comes on when you put the gear in reverse.

And the main reason I am even asking this question is because I have an allergic reaction to the word "canbus," I know firsthand how it causes all kinds of headaches with LED lights for instance. People talk about it as if it is the scourge of any modification whatsoever to a Jeep. (Steering wheel controls seems to be a common issue that people mention problems with.) What I'm having trouble understanding is how, if I actually manage to make a one to one connection with a wiring diagram and a tester, why something like this won't work? I'm curious because I thought of changing out my head unit

Canbus can't be processing this stuff in any way to prevent replacements like this? Can it?
Well, there's one way to find out for sure, man up and try it.

Sometimes it's better to try something out and report your findings - rather than just asking random questions.

I don't see how you could do any harm, if you're confident it should work, try it and let us know how you make out. :wink3:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I wasn't randomly musing this, it's just something that I see every time I look for info on it, "this won't work--canbus," "don't try to do this, canbus," etc. etc. etc. Come to think of it I also read a few things about the factory (Boston Acoustics?) amplifier, that may play a role here as well.

At any rate, the stuff I've been considering installing is way down in price since I've been keeping my finger on the pulse of it all, so I'll probably be answering my own questions here in the next couple of months.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,759 Posts
I wasn't randomly musing this, it's just something that I see every time I look for info on it, "this won't work--canbus," "don't try to do this, canbus," etc. etc. etc. Come to think of it I also read a few things about the factory (Boston Acoustics?) amplifier, that may play a role here as well.

At any rate, the stuff I've been considering installing is way down in price since I've been keeping my finger on the pulse of it all, so I'll probably be answering my own questions here in the next couple of months.
Looking forward to reading about it @HyperionAlpha;

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Any updates on functionality of the canbus adapter? I see you’re in Charlotte. I happen to be here this week. Would love to check out functionality of the system if you’re available.
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I have had quite the 2019. I now live in Denver and have decided to go all-in on the Commander and I am going to do some more mods over the next few months. The first X-Trons 10.1" unit screen died on me but they offered to repair it pretty quickly. The can-bus adaptor works well now but when I had the factory BA amp hooked up I had weird issues. The amp would die and only put sound out the rear passenger side sometimes and a few other times my HVAC doors closed in a way that no air flowed at all and would not open back up until the car was off for 30+ minutes (really weird). Once I bypassed the AMP and let the X-Trons drive the speakers (sounds better honestly) those issues went away. All of the steering wheel controls work, illum works, door open/close works, batt/acc works, reverse trigger works, etc. I think I am going to load the Hal9k ROM because I like the speed-sensitive volume feature. Disappoint no android auto out of the box but I found an app called "headunit reloaded" that fixes that. Overall I am very happy with the setup. Thinking about adding front and rear cameras for parking and the trail soon, once I pay for my other issues that need fixing. Now that I am in Denver I can't show you in person but I would be more then happy to video chat if you are still interested.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts