Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my Diablo Sport tuner today. I had to download the an update from there website to the tuner before I could program the Jeep. Make sure you have a way to connect the tuner to the internet or else you can't program your Jeep, you just need a power source (prong type 12v- I have a multi prong plug that I use for kids toys) and a db9 cable. You can purchase a kit from diablo sport, I think it costs $20 or so but you do need it.

Upon install you have several tuning options and I use the 91 octane tune. The shifting is much improve as is the acceleration. The Jeep is much faster and the transmission improvement is amazing. I was also able to adjust the computer for my oversize tires by inputting the size into the programmer and now my speedo is actually accurate.

I was getting a little nervous during the install as the dash kept scrolling the warning lights and the display scrolled through "service suspension", "check gauges", etc. I was a little scared that the computer was getting jacked. The install takes about 10/15 minutes and works just fine.

In summation- cool toy with lots of options that I haven't even begun to explore yet- I just have the pre configured performance tune in the system and tire size adjustment. The best $300 bucks I spent for a performance mod on the jeep (the brute force intake was 300- sounds good but not the same gains as the tuner).

Predator for $300-
http://www.concoursdirect.com/diablo-sport-predator.html

Diablosport XK website-
http://diablosport.com/index.php?module=htmlpages&func=display&pid=150

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Thanks for checking out another new product and the review.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update-

2-3 mpg average improvement (11-12 vs 14-15), quick shifting and way faster than stock.

I am throwing a p0406 code (egr valve voltage) that won't clear but I doubt it is related.

Still have not got into the really tricky mods with the programmer.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Update-

2-3 mpg average improvement (11-12 vs 14-15), quick shifting and way faster than stock.

I am throwing a p0406 code (egr valve voltage) that won't clear but I doubt it is related.

Still have not got into the really tricky mods with the programmer.
Are you still seeing the mileage gains? I am thinking about getting one of these little babies!

·
Registered
167 Posts
this thing really works. I have alot of experience on the car side of the HEMI and this is really a toy relegated to those with the HEMI. This will allow someone to customer tune (on a dyno) different heads, stroker motors, cams, etc etc etc

GIven a stock motor, I believe we saw 10 - 15 hp differences and peppy shifts.

I am interested if this person got the light to go off. I was afraid Diablo just gave us the truck version which would be an issue consdiering the trucks didn't have EGR's. I hope I am wrong.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the light to go off- was a bad egr valve, coincidence in timing. Replaced the egr and all is well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
so how much HP did the diablo add?? im thinking of getting one,just like to now if its worth it.
I don't think it adds too much hp. Maybe 10-15 like MomsR/T said. The thing that rocks is the ability to change a lot of other stuff. I love the way the tranny shifts now vs. stock. Although my mileage didn't go up like some people claim.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Two questions: 1)Is the mileage increase because of the recalibration of the speedo? 2)Are those highway miles or city? I only ask because I was getting 13.9 avg from northern cali to socal on I-5 on my christmas vacation. I have the 5.7l HEMI:)

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't know about the hp as I don't have access to a dyno but for 300 bucks this thing makes the Jeep very "snappy". If you contact Diablo they may have some specs for you. The trans shifts hard and there is power throughout the rpm band. For 300 you can get a cold air intake or exhaust so for the price I think the gains are worth it. This tuner is also ultra customizable by the Diablo dealers for each minor tweak you make to your setup, add a new muffler- redo your tune, add a CAI- redo your tune, etc. This lets you take FULL advantage your addons, but understand that you do not have to retune when you add new items, it just unlocks the full potential if you do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great Post. New to this forum. Last week I also installed the 91Octane tune (in CA and can only get the 91) and what a difference. All good, esp the transmission shifts. I also had to update the programmer before being able to upload and download tunes, but that was just a small inconvenience. Great Tool.....

·
Premium Member
691 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Diablo was my first buy for the Commander then the 2" lift for now. Wife wants a 4.5 from Rusty thats more money to spend.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a CAI and a new exhaust system, do you think that if I got the Diablo that I would have to go to a store for a custom tune to get the most out of my jeep, or can i program it all myself to recognice my other mods?

·
Registered
136 Posts
This is good news. I have waited a year for Superchips to release an update for the 2009 Hemi, still nothing.

Can you guys elaborate on the shifting? You all seem to like that much better than stock. Is it softer, did the odd downshifts get fixed, is 1st held longer? What is great about the shifting with the predator?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No you can't custom tune it yourself- go to the website and they will list shops that do the tuning, I don't think it costs very much.

The firmer shifting is similar to putting a shift kit in a camaro, stang, t/a, etc. drilling out the holes in the valve body and such except it is a digital- just a push of the button.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Concerned...

How does the tuner effect the MDS? Ultimately I would like to get tuned for more mileage. My buddy just got a 09 5.7 ram and get freakin 24 MPG hwy to my 13. All due to tuning. Hoping that something comes along. His MDS kicks in at 45mph.

·
Registered
40 Posts
How does the tuner effect the MDS? Ultimately I would like to get tuned for more mileage. My buddy just got a 09 5.7 ram and get freakin 24 MPG hwy to my 13. All due to tuning. Hoping that something comes along. His MDS kicks in at 45mph.
All you can do is turn it off. Where it kicks in cannot be changed. I turned it off in my Commander and I still get the same mileage as before. :ugh2:

·
Registered
299 Posts
Do they make a tune for the 4.7?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts