Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was really suprised with how well it tows. I towed about 75 miles all through the CA hills.

·
Registered
422 Posts
nice...good thing you have the hemi...no problem towing with all those horses...

·
Registered
887 Posts
Looks good! I am contemplating getting a car hauler soon myself.

Good luck doing it the other way around. :wave:
Someone correct me if I am wrong (this should not take long) but since the wk is the same platform as the xk, and it looks like the wk also has a hemi, they should have the same towing capacity. I understand the exhaust is in the way - but if it was not they should be close. Now that I think about it the SRT has a Dana 44, so this may actually increase it's capability.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Looks good! I am contemplating getting a car hauler soon myself.
Someone correct me if I am wrong (this should not take long) but since the wk is the same platform as the xk, and it looks like the wk also has a hemi, they should have the same towing capacity. I understand the exhaust is in the way - but if it was not they should be close. Now that I think about it the SRT has a Dana 44, so this may actually increase it's capability.
It is the same frame and platform. The suspension and the exhaust make the SRT not such a good towing vehicle. It's only rated for 3500#. That's after you go through the expense of re-routing the exhaust and buying a hitch.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I just towed max capacity today. It was a very short trip... only a few miles... but the boat & trailer weigh every bit of 7,000 lbs especially with a full tank of gas.

Very pleased with how my monroe shocks helped prevent sag... i expected my rear to be dragging a bit more.

It did make me miss by Sierra a bit... with that truck i couldn't even tell the boat was back there. But for the twice i year i tow this, the Commander isn't an issue.

Well... actually.... we'll see how it does pulling it out of the water. I'm not worried about power; the ramp we use is sand/gravel mix, non-paved. 4-low with the lockers will be put to the test :eek:rangehat:

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Well... actually.... we'll see how it does pulling it out of the water. I'm not worried about power; the ramp we use is sand/gravel mix, non-paved. 4-low with the lockers will be put to the test :eek:rangehat:
I don't think you are supposed to tow anything in 4low. Check your manual.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is the same frame and platform. The suspension and the exhaust make the SRT not such a good towing vehicle. It's only rated for 3500#. That's after you go through the expense of re-routing the exhaust and buying a hitch.
the main reason there rated at 3500 lbs is the trans parking pin thats straight from a srt engineer on another forum im on people have towed 5k+ with them.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
the main reason there rated at 3500 lbs is the trans parking pin thats straight from a srt engineer on another forum im on people have towed 5k+ with them.
You can tow as mush as the vehicle can move but that doeen't mean you should. If you you tow more than the vehicle is rated for then over time it will do damage to the drivetrain. People on here have said they tow more than their XK is rated for with no problem, but they don't realize the long term effects of doing so.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
You can tow as mush as the vehicle can move but that doeen't mean you should. If you you tow more than the vehicle is rated for then over time it will do damage to the drivetrain. People on here have said they tow more than their XK is rated for with no problem, but they don't realize the long term effects of doing so.
the real reason is because the "park pin/key" is only good for 3500lbs... straight from the engineers mouth... the federal regulations dont accept the intelligent person putting the E-brake on... so essentially if you would park on a hill with more ten 3500lbs it could break the mechanism in the transmission...

nothing about power nor suspension (we probably have a much stiffer suspension then the standard grand cher.)

·
Registered
887 Posts
nothing about power nor suspension (we probably have a much stiffer suspension then the standard grand cher.)
I suspected as much.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's not about power and suspension, it's about transmission gearing and setup. Tow packages tend to have trans fluid coolers and lower first-gear gearing than the SRT-8 Grand Cherokee has, as well as different 1st-3rd gear ratios. The SRT-8 is designed to be a hot rod, not a tow rig, and will not take the abuse of consistent towing of a heavy load for an extended period of time.

As for not towing in 4lo...pulling a boat out of the water for 20 feet isn't any different than yanking a stuck truck out of the mud, and you'd ONLY do that in 4lo, correct?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts