Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Does anyone on this forum own a CRD Commander?
I just wanna get your thoughts on them and what you guys think about them after driving them? Obviously... hows your petrol vs. diesel debate?

Just on quietness.. vibrations.. etc.

Thank you,

·
Registered
109 Posts
hi, think I'm the only guy left on the forum from the UK, and we have a new guy in Aus about to take ownership. I have the 3L CRD having had previously a 4.7 grand Cherokee. To be honest it was a big decision to go diesel after my lovely V8. All I can say is test drive it and make your own mind up. I found it very impressive, and surprisingly not that noisy. It is very quick, which for me was very important cant stand sluggish cars, took the LR3 out and needed a shave waiting for it to get to 60mph. Lastly, it is nice not being sooooo friendly with the local petrol station:) at least once a week now!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Do the CRD Commander's have turnsignals on the front fenders underneath the trail rated badge? I could've sworn that I saw those on a picture, but now I can't find it. I think those would be sweet to add to mine.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
My next vehicle is a new diesel Grand Cherokee!

·
Registered
109 Posts
funny, we don't get the trail rated badge, CRD is identical to petrol except we get clear turn-signal lenses and built in FM aerial on the rear side window.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Can I assume the CRD has a turbo?

I would love to drive one if they ever become available in the states.

I just love the song a turbo sings.

When I was in the US Coast Guard, I was at a smallboat station.

Out 41 foot boat was powered by two Cummins VT903M's putting out 318 HP each. Access to the engines was through a large hatch that exposed the entire engine. After sitting idle for a couple of months during an overhaul period, we had to visualize the engines running under a full load. I could not help but remove my hearing protection to listen to the turbo's song.

I miss that alot. :-(

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
I got a 06 CRD commander. I love it but then I haven`t tried a petrol version. 99% of all Commanders here in Norway are diesels. The CRD is very quick for such a big vehicle and pulls very well. Its also quiet and comfy.

/Chris

·
Registered
17 Posts
Gooday,
Have a 2006 CRD Commander, now done 26,000KM fabulous, had 2.7 CRD WG B4 that, is such a vast improvement.
Had 4.7 V8 B4 that, the Commander is the best Jeep we have had. Tow a 21Ft, 3000KG all up Caravan a lot of the time awsesome tow vehicle.
Our Specs would be the same as the bloke form UK as we are RHD as well, built in Austria. Only complaint is position of Reversing sensor indicator lights, front blocked by dashtop Sat Nav, rear too far forward in roof, though I think they have woken up to that and shifted the back one. Other thing I can't get a Roo Bar for it here yet.
Cheers,
Ozcommander

·
Registered
41 Posts
ricky O said:
hi, think I'm the only guy left on the forum from the UK, and we have a new guy in Aus about to take ownership. I have the 3L CRD having had previously a 4.7 grand Cherokee. To be honest it was a big decision to go diesel after my lovely V8. All I can say is test drive it and make your own mind up. I found it very impressive, and surprisingly not that noisy. It is very quick, which for me was very important cant stand sluggish cars, took the LR3 out and needed a shave waiting for it to get to 60mph. Lastly, it is nice not being sooooo friendly with the local petrol station:) at least once a week now!
If I ever make it back to the UK a 3L diesel commander would be on my shortlist. A 4.7 or 5.7 would be lunacy with the fuel costs. Hopefully they would have depreciated so I could pick up an 18 month old model for a reasonable amount (15k GBP). On that note saw a silver limited 8 month old model being privately sold for 105k dirhams (28,600 dollars or 14k gbp)

jeepflares

·
Registered
109 Posts
yeah they moved the sensor lights to above the tailgate for the 07 model. We do have the same vehicles but they seem to give you a different sat nav system, seen pictures, it's positioned on top of the dash? Is that a factory fit sat nav? Like you say seems in the way?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah.. here in Australia the sat nav seems to block the front sensors aswell..

But it does beep once you get close to something...

·
Registered
109 Posts
strange, wonder why they didn't just use the same system as in the UK & US spec? whatever, just enjoy it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
'Nother Oz one here. Awesome motor car, leaves my WG 2.7CRD for dead in every respect. As soon as it arrives in the US jump on the bandwagon big time.

·
Registered
76 Posts
We are taking delivery of a new 3L CRD Grand Cherokee in a few weeks, and we're planning to do a review of the vehicle in our year-end Gear Review issue, due out on 12/10/07. From what we're hearing, the Grand Cherokee platform for this engine was the first of several "eventual" releases of the 3L CRD in other platforms (including the Commander) in the U.S. Depending on customer feedback and response to this offering, we may see this a reality before long. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts