Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is a dipstick available for the 3.0crd Commander.

I asked the dealer and he says no. You just put 7.7 litres in after swapping the filter. I've never just poured oil in and take that as its done.

Do the petrol and diesel commanders use the same gearbox? I'm sure I've seen pictures of commanders with a dipstick on the gearbox but they were petrol models, mine just has a cap on the dipstick tube that says service on it.

Has anyone got a part number for a dipstick please.

·
Registered
162 Posts
After removing the dip stick plug I just feed a length of cable down the tube until it hit the bottom of the sump and then withdrew it and mark the level. You also need to have the car up to running temp and do the dip stick test while the engine is running as you normally do with all auto transmissions. I now keep this as my custom dip stick tool.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After removing the dip stick plug I just feed a length of cable down the tube until it hit the bottom of the sump and then withdrew it and mark the level. You also need to have the car up to running temp and do the dip stick test while the engine is running as you normally do with all auto transmissions. I now keep this as my custom dip stick tool.
But how do I know that the oil level is correct now. My jeeps done 40k and sometimes I get the service park assist message when engaging drive. But moving it back to netural then back to drive clears it. I wondered if it could be a low oil level? It only ever happens when the oil is cold.

·
Registered
532 Posts
But how do I know that the oil level is correct now. My jeeps done 40k and sometimes I get the service park assist message when engaging drive. But moving it back to netural then back to drive clears it. I wondered if it could be a low oil level? It only ever happens when the oil is cold.
Sorry but the park assist service is linked with the oil?!?!

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
532 Posts
I ask you cause i have a diesel commander and i get mad cause the park light.. And i have problem with the gearbox.... So i was wondering if it could e related...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My jeep on cold days only I have since worked out, will display the "service park assist" message on the dash but it then gets stuck in 1 gear and won't change up. A couple of times I've found that just moving into netural and then back into drive clears the gearbox fault and then the message disappears off the dash.

Since I've got through winter in the uk the gearbox has not played up at all, but I still need to change the gearbox oil at some point before the next winter.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Woow finally someone with my same problem. I live in italy and when the winter arrive( and here is not soo cold we are talking max about minus 15 celsius) when i start my jeep the gear look like stuck and arrive until 3000 rpm before put the second gear.
I had so many problem with it in past cause i was loosing oil but now i fix it but i guess im not using the right oil time, thats why the car look like stuck.
U know exactly witch kind of oil i have to put?
All the time that i got the error on the park system i went to my dealer and they told me that is not related at all... Sometime even now i get this error but just when i brake strongly and i was thinking about some cable touching each other...
I hope to solve this problem on the gearbox..even because mine is just 60k kilometer..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got the part number from my dealer of C05103531EA for the transmission oil. I haven't changed the oil yet but I will get mine from the dealer to make sure it's correct. My dealer said its ATF 4x4. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Ya it ll help thanks! I ll ask to my dealer.. Do u know how many liter i need for the gear box? I change it like 10 k ago but for sure is not the right one the one i put in... I put castrol atf4.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes it holds 7.7 litres

·
Registered
532 Posts
Wooow! Is soo much!! Thanks! Keep me update if u get some news from the dealer.. I ll do the same..thanks

·
Registered
532 Posts
i try to google the number of the part but the only result is about a Russian site... in this week i ll ask about it to my dealer..

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've changed the transmission oil in my XH Diesel Commander and it's simple and can be messy when you don't have a car hoist and crawling under the car to do it. There's a good YouTube video on how to do it too.
These European built Commanders do have a different transmission to the petrol USA models so they need a different filter.
I have bought many of my XH Diesel parts from Euro Parts San Diego, USA. Our Comanders run the same engine as the 2007 plus Merc Sprinter vans. This icludes fuel filters, glow plugs and the transmission oil filter.
Here's the link: http://store.europarts-sd.com/transmissionfilterkit2002-2009.aspx
Great prices and they're fast at shipping, only 5 days to Australia

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
I've changed the transmission oil in my XH Diesel Commander and it's simple and can be messy when you don't have a car hoist and crawling under the car to do it. There's a good YouTube video on how to do it too.
These European built Commanders do have a different transmission to the petrol USA models so they need a different filter.
I have bought many of my XH Diesel parts from Euro Parts San Diego, USA. Our Comanders run the same engine as the 2007 plus Merc Sprinter vans. This icludes fuel filters, glow plugs and the transmission oil filter.
Here's the link: http://store.europarts-sd.com/transmissionfilterkit2002-2009.aspx
Good info, multihull. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
532 Posts
ya thanks a lot..im visiting the site but i guess there is no shipping in italy for the oil...:(
i really wanna change it..
thanks a lot again for the nice post...

·
Registered
162 Posts
ya thanks a lot..im visiting the site but i guess there is no shipping in italy for the oil...:(
i really wanna change it..
thanks a lot again for the nice post...
That's right they won't let you ship oils by air frieght if they did I would be buying all my oils from the USA because it's cheaper even with the frieght costs added.
The Mopar specified Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) for our Jeep Commanders is a very common oil used in most modern European cars and light trucks. It's ATF +4. Just read the label on the back of the bottles of the various ATF at your local car parts shop and you will find it.
It should take about 4 litres.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Thanka a lot again!!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
532 Posts
Btw after how many km i should change that oil?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Btw after how many km i should change that oil?
The XH Commander manual says every 100,000 km for the Transmission fluid
Transfer Case every 50,0000km
Electronic diffs every 20,000km if you work them hard when towing heavy trailers or doing off roading.
Fuel filter every 40,000km
flush & replace engine coolant every 160,000km but Idid mine at 100,000 because it was changing colour.

·
Registered
532 Posts
and more r less how many km i can do with before changing it.?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts